This was an impressive win. South Dakota State University is a good team and will probably win their conference. It should not surprise anyone to see them in your bracket come March Madness time. Tech jumped out to an early 15-2 lead, but the Jackrabbits clawed their way back and actually led 38-36 at the half. There were two reasons Tech was losing at halftime. They were not guarding the three point line and were settling for too many jump shots. Both of those changed after half time. The full court pressure and defensive intensity that Tech brought in the second half was the difference in the game. Smith must have gotten after his team pretty good in the locker room because the defense was noticeably better. While watching the game it was pretty apparent the SDSU began to wear down with about ten minutes to play and the Red Raiders just kept bringing the pressure.
- Gotcher led all scorers with 17 points and 5 boards.
- Tech had 23 points off turnovers compared to only 5 for SDSU.
- Zack Smith had two monster dunks tonight! (watch the highlight video below)
- The Red Raiders had 10 steals to go along with 8 blocks.
- Devaugntah Williams scored 10 tonight. Second game in a row he has failed to reach his average of 16 ppg.
- SDSU made 7 three pointers in the first half, but only 2 in the second half.
- 6'10 center Matthew Temple made his season debut tonight. This was his first action due to academics. Hopefully he will provide support in the middle during conference play and fill the Manderson void.
- Tubby Smith Post Game Presser
- Game Highlights - Video
- No week long break this time as the Red Raiders welcome in Arkansas-Pine Bluff Saturday at 3:00.