Ouch. I hate getting my heart ripped out on a cold Saturday in January, but that is exactly what just happened. After three losses in a row this team was in a "REALLY need to get a win" situation. I hesitate to say this was a must win, because there is a lot of ball left to play. You have to protect home court in this conference or you will not win many games. Once again, this team fell behind in the first half and showed their toughness by getting back in the game. They had a chance to get this one to overtime, but Baylor made the last shot as time expired. The season is not lost, but Tech has to find a way to finish games. Seven wins in the Big 12 gives us a legitimate chance to play in the big dance. We have one win with thirteen left to play.
Tech found themselves trailing for most of the half and the biggest culprit were the turnovers. The Red Raiders really struggled to execute against the zone defense committing 10 turnovers leading to 17 points for Baylor. It was good to see Williams come out aggressive on offense as he scored the first 8 points and ended the half with 10. Tech really had to battle to keep Baylor's lead under 10 points and at the half the Bears led 36-29.
Tech came out much better on both sides of the ball. The defensive intensity really picked up for Tech and they held Baylor scoreless in the first four minutes. With 12:25 to go in the game Tech took the lead and it was a war the rest of the way. Offensive execution down the stretch doomed this team, but a great defensive play by Williams with 30 seconds to go enabled Tech to tie the game. Baylor took the ball for last shot and drained a 3 pointer to win as time expired.
- Justin Grey, fresh off his career game against Kansas St, was on the bench with ice on his knee most of the game. Let's hope this was just precautionary. He did play some minutes during the final stretch.
- Devaugntah Williams was the leading scorer with 16 points. It was great to see him get it going today.
- Baylor was bad at free throws shooting 53%. That stat should have won us the game.
- Tech was great from the free throw line shooting 87% going 13 for 15.
- Starting center Odiase struggled all day. Coach Smith ended up yanking him with about 4 minutes to go. He had zero points today.