The Red Raiders were victorious once again! Every conference win is important, but this one served as validation. Devaugntah Williams led Tech with 23 points and 3 rebounds. It was great to see our leading scorer come out of his "mini" scoring slump today. In the first half the Longhorns really struggled to penetrate Tech's defense. They were forced to shoot from the outside and Texas' first 12 points were all three pointers. If it weren't for those 3 pointers Tech's half time lead would have much bigger. Tech led 35-24 at the break. The second half looked entirely different as Texas decided to force the issue and drive the ball. Tech led for the entire game, but Texas, led by Isaiah Taylor's 35 points, made a late run that almost changed the outcome. Exceptional free throw shooting along with Toddrick Gotcher's hot second half proved to be too much for the Longhorns to overcome. The win would not have been possible without the defense that was played today. I cannot say enough about this team's ability to play man to man and always be in position to contest shots. No one can deny Tubby Smith has this team playing tough defense.
- TTU shot 50% from the field, 41% from three point line, and an amazing 90% from the free throw line. Making 27 of 30 free throws stifled the Longhorns from completing their comeback.
- Toddrick Gotcher scored 18 points with 15 of those coming in the second half. He was 4 of 6 from three point land.
- Odiase provided a strong presence down low today. He had 13 points, 7 rebounds and was 5 for 5 at the free throw line.
- TTU played 9 different players today, but once again Aaron Ross was outstanding off the bench with 9 points and 2 boards.
- I am happy to report that Zach Smith made the highlight reel again with two monster dunks and three blocks. His late game block of a three pointer absolutely took the life out of the Longhorns comeback.
- The home crowd was great today, even with the students out for the holidays the arena was loud. I anticipate as the team continues to win the fans will begin to fill up the United Supermarkets Arena.
- Game Highlight Video