Eli Howard - Defensive End (San Angelo HS, San Angelo, TX)
|6'4"||250 lbs||4.70||3.99||28"||325 lbs||395 lbs|
Interest: SMU (Warm), North Texas (Warm), Sam Houston State (Warm), Texas Tech *(Warm)
Eli Howard has yet to be offered by Texas Tech, but he's been a target for the Red Raiders for a while. He visited Texas Tech for the Oklahoma game, his only official visit thus far, and was impressed by the Red Raiders. However, he came away without an offer and hasn't had one so far. I'm not sure if Texas Tech will offer or not, but he's a name people should keep an eye on. He committed to North Texas a few weeks ago, but decommitted after a SMU offer to think about his decision. There is currently no timetable for when Howard will commit, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does so soon. Now let's take a look at what Howard brings to the table. What I like about Eli is his awareness on the football field. He is aware of his surroundings, pushing his guy towards the ball carrier and taking down the runner, and also getting his hand up when the QB passes. I also like Howard's speed, being able to catch-up to the ball carrier and bring him down. Finally, I like his ability to drive guys back. He can keep his man in front of him while going towards the ball carrier. I'm not sure if Howard would commit if Tech offered, but he likes the Red Raiders and could commit if an offer comes his way.
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1868181/highlights/161082378' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
Donta Thompson - Wide Receiver (Ennis HS, Ennis, TX)
Interest: Texas Tech (Warm), Purdue (Warm), Colorado (Warm), UTSA (Warm)
Donta Thompson was first offered by Texas Tech after his Oklahoma visit. He visited for the Oklahoma game and was hosted by former Ennis DB Jah'Shawn Johnson. He is also looking at Purdue, Illinois and USTA, and should be deciding here shortly with National Signing Day coming up. If anybody was watching the High School Football Championship games, Donta Thompson was a playmaker for the Ennis squad, scoring the game winning TD late in the 4th quarter to win the game. He is listed as a Wide Receiver, but he could also play Tight End for whichever team he goes to. Now let's take a look at what Donta Thompson brings to the field. Donta is a strong receiver that can out muscle DBs for the ball. This helps him get inside position, and when he does catch it, he's tough to bring down. I also like Donta's ability to catch the high ball. He finds the ball at the highest point and brings it down with his strong arms. He's someone that Tech will be able to throw too when they need a catch. Finally, he's a winner. He came in clutch in the championship game and has shown he shows up on the big stage. Tech hasn't been great closing out games when they are close, so having someone like Thompson would help them. He reminds me of a stronger (though not as fast or athletic) Carlos Strickland and could be a good WR for the Red Raiders.
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3115377/highlights/126519375' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here are some more updates:
- Breiden Fehoko, 97 rated DT commit, is participating in the Under Armor All American game this week. He is the first Red Raider commit in the game since Jackson Richards. He will be rooming with Tyron Johnson this week.
- Tyron Johnson, 97 rated WR, has named Texas Tech in his top group and will decide during the Under Armor All American game on Friday. I think he chooses LSU (because he's a high rated prospect from Louisiana), but Tech is very much in the running.
- Chris Warren III, 96 rated ATH, has Tech in his Top group and will visit the Red Raiders on January 23rd, a couple weeks before national signing day. He is also visiting Top schools Oklahoma State (1/16) and Washington (1/30). Texas is also in the running.
- Kris Boyd, 96 rated CB, did not announce his decision on Christmas and will name his Top 5 soon. According to Steve Wiltfong of 247sports, Baylor is for sure going to make the cut (because of "the Girls"), but Florida State, Texas, A&M and Tech are also expected to make it. Boyd said his best relationship is with Kevin Curtis.
- Chad President, 91 rated DT QB, decommitted from Baylor, but ended up committing to Tulsa on Christmas Day. He ended up not contacting Kingsbury and followed his recruiter to Tulsa.
- Kylan Johnson, 87 rated ATH, will be visiting Texas Tech on January 16th and Arkansas on January 23rd. Tech is one of the top schools for the Skyline product. He'll likely play Safety for Texas Tech (where former Skyline player Derrick Dixon plays).
- Quan Shorts, 85 rated WR commit, stated via Twitter that he has officially shut down his recruitment and become a Red Raider.