We'll have an open thread for the College Football National Championship game later this evening along with all sorts of additional content.
* TEXASTECH.COM Gutierrez Earns Second Preseason All-America Honor - Texas Tech University Official Athletic Site - Gutierrez is racking up the preseason honors. Baseball isn't that far away.
* Best in Texas breakdown (1/12): Power-five schools went 1-10 last week to shake things up | Dallas Morning News - I don't know if you all care that much about a state of Texas ranking for basketball, but here you go. Don't forget that the men play Kansas State on Wednesday night in Manhattan.
* Oklahoma To Name Lincoln Riley Offensive Coordinator - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | and Oklahoma football: East Carolina's Lincoln Riley one of several candidates for OU offensive coordinator position | News OK and False Alarm: Lincoln Riley To Oklahoma Not A Reality - Crimson And Cream Machine - It seems as if the first link, that says that Riley was named as the OC is not accurate and some of the Oklahoma guys on Twitter seemed to be saying that the, Dean Blevins, is known for getting a story inaccurate and / or wrong. Seems as if Riley is a candidate at this time and I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that Stoops isn't going with a more run-based approach.
* TU Names Co-Defensive Coordinator - KTUL.com - Tulsa, Oklahoma - News, Weather & Sports - Not much here other than noting that former Baylor OC Philip Montgomery hired BU's co-defensive coordinator and safety coach, Brian Norwood. Also of note is that Bill Young was originally hired at SMU to be the defensive coordinator but Montgomery just hired Young away to be Tulsa's DC, which means that he was at SMU for a matter of weeks.
* Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby: League must do ‘soul-searching,’ might mandate nonconference game against power-five opponent | Dallas Morning News - Interesting to note here at the end, which is that Bowlsby said that a sitting athletic director would likely take the spot on the College Football Playoff committee.
* Harrison twins deal with tragedy | Adam Himmelsbach – Sports Columnist and Abdul "Hakeem" Butler - Hudl - this is just something to watch, but offensive coordinator Eric Morris recently started to follow Hakeem Butler on twitter, so I've linked to Butler's Hudl film and Butler is a 6-7/205 receiver and it seems as if no one really knows about him. Butler has a Rivals basketball profile, but he's obviously a huge target at 6'7" and his MaxPreps profile says he only caught 10 passes this past year for 97 yards, so you're probably looking at all 10 catches in his highlight film (MaxPreps isn't always accurate). I didn't count, but it looks like more than 10 passes and he is also blocking and blocking all sorts of punts. Also interesting, is the first link, which is that Butler is cousins with the Harrison twins from Kentucky and Butler's mother recently passed away and moved to Texas this past year, Richmond at Fort Bend Travis, from Baltimore, Maryland. You never know what might happen, just something to watch.