Winning feels so good. By far, this was the most exciting game of the season and if you missed it then you should watch the highlight video below. Every Tech player contributed tonight. Williams broke out of his funk with 19 points, Zach Smith made huge free throws at the end to ice the game, and Evans made a three pointer from 30 feet that put Tech up late in OT.
As I sat back to reflect on the game and prepared to write I realized something. I realized that Tech is growing up and learning how to win. Last week they beat OSU with a last second shot and tonight they took down the #14 team in country in the closing seconds. Congrats to Tubby Smith and his players on their signature win of the season!
I do not know if this team is going to get three or four more wins in order to make their case for the big dance, but it sure is fun to be talking about basketball post season scenarios again.
- Mathew Temple returned to the lineup after the nasty eye injury he sustained in the first half of the Texas game on Saturday. As a safety precaution he wore goggles that made him look like a player from a 1970's NBA team. If you didn't see the picture of his damaged eye check it out here.
- Lots of talk by the TV commentators regarding the Red Raiders still having a chance at the NCAA Tournament with a win against Iowa State. All I can say to that is there is a lot of basketball left to play.
- Williams was back to his old self tonight with 19 points in the game. Maybe that winning shot against OSU caused an awakening. Do you feel it? (Yes I love Star Wars).
- Ross was the leading scorer with 20 points and 6 rebounds.
- Tech was 17-23 (74%) at the free throw line.
- Tech had 5 players in double digits tonight. Williams, Ross, Smith, Gray, and Evans.