Every Tuesday during the season, we will put out our Big 12 Power Poll. I said the rankings aren't changing the past two weeks. Well this week they changed slightly. A quarter of the season is over and things are becoming a clearer. The first two Big 12 match ups of the season are on the schedule this week when Tech faces TCU and Texas faces Oklahoma State. The rankings could really start getting fluid week to week from here on out.
To be clear, these rankings are based on projections. If they were based on accomplishments up to this point in the season, I would have had OU #1 followed by Tech at #2, but I like basing the rankings on where I project the teams will be at the end of the season.
- Baylor (Bye) - They were off last week. They are a 35 point favorite against Rice this week.
- TCU (won 56-37 vs SMU) - The Frogs struggled defensively versus SMU. In fact, the Mustangs pulled to within five points of the Frogs in the 4th quarter before the Frogs put up 14 unanswered points to win by 19. Boykin averaged over 20 yards/completion. Tech will have to prove they can defend the deep ball if they want to beat TCU this week.
- OU (won 52-38 vs Tulsa) - The Sooners toggled between being dominant and being vulnerable against Tulsa. They still have the best Big 12 win up to this point when they beat Tennessee two weeks ago. They are off this week.
- West Virginia (Bye) - The Mountaineers were off last week. They play Maryland on Saturday.
- Oklahoma State (won 69-14 vs UTSA) - They did what they were supposed to do. They soundly dominated the very outmatched UTSA squad. They get Texas this week.
- Texas Tech (won 35-24 vs Arkansas ) - A solid performance all around for the Red Raiders moves them up the rankings. Saturday's victory ranks as the second best win in the conference to date. The funny thing about winning is the stakes get higher. After one of the most complete Tech victories in quite awhile, a big matchup with TCU looms on Saturday. A win will move the Red Raiders into the Big 12's upper echelon.
- Kansas State (won 39-33 vs LA Tech) - The Wildcats drop after a triple overtime home win versus Louisiana Tech. I am sure Bill Snyder will pull off a little magic this season, but I have watched a bit of their last two games and they look more vulnerable than past years. They are off this week.
- Texas (lost 45-44 vs Cal) - Is there anymore heartbreaking way to lose than to make a big comeback only to miss the game tying extra point? Even with the loss, the Jerrod Heard hype train is picking up steam. They catch Oklahoma State this week. This game we teach us a lot about both teams.
- Iowa State (lost 30-23 vs Toledo) - Paul Rhoads' seat keeps getting hotter. Toledo pulled off consecutive Power 5 conference wins. The Cyclones are off this week.
- Kansas (Bye) - Kansas was off last week. They travel to the northeast to take on Rutgers this week.
I know a few Red Raider fans may think Tech deserves a higher ranking. I can understand the sentiment. Regardless of this week's ranking though, everything hinges on Saturday. They could shoot up the rankings quickly with a win this weekend.