Viliamu Auwae - Offensive Tackle (Kapolei HS, Kapolei, HI)
Ratings: 75 by 247 / NR by ESPN / NR by Rivals / NR by Scout
Interest: Texas Tech (Warm), Boise State (Warm), Nevada (Warm), Utah State (Warm)
Viliamu Auwae was offered by Texas Tech a few weeks ago when the coaching staff visited Breiden Fehoko in Hawaii. The 2-star OT had 4 offers (BSU, Nevada, Utah State, BYU) prior to the Texas Tech offer. There isn't a whole lot of info on Viliamu (247sports is the only site to have a profile), but I did find out he has a younger brother who is a 3-star OT in the 2016 class. Maybe Texas Tech is trying to get both brothers aboard and create more depth on the offensive line. Anyway, it appears Kingsbury, Hays and Smith were impressed enough in Hawaii to extend an offer to Blue Grey All American. Now let's look at what Viliamu Auwae can do on film. Viliamu has a good size that will benefit him at the next level, no matter where he plays. He looks like he recognizes defenses good and can block for both the run and pass. When he's pass blocking, he keeps his man in front of him and doesn't allow him to make on play. When rush blocking, he pushes his man back until the whistle blows. Viliamu would be a good addition for the Red Raiders for their final OT spot (unless someone like Uluave decides to commit).
Pesi Savea - Offensive Tackle (Kapolei Hs, Kapolei, HI)
|Height||Weight||40 time||Shuttle||Bench Press||Squat|
|6'8"||310 lbs||5.30||4.50||335 lbs||455 lbs|
Ratings: NR by 247 / NR by ESPN / NR by Rivals / 3-star by Scout
Interest: Texas Tech (Warm), Washington State (Warm), Boise State (Warm), Idaho State (Cool)
Texas Tech extended another offer to a Hawaiian Offensive Linemen during their visit. They offered Viliamu Auwae's teammate, Pesi Savea. The huge OT received his 4th offer from Texas Tech a few weeks ago, with the other 3 offers being Washington State, Boise State and Idaho State. Unlike his teammate Wiliamu, Pesi has three recruiting profiles, with Scout giving him 3 stars and 247sports and Rivals not rating him. If he were to commit to Tech, I bet he would end up being a low 3-star OT. He is big OT that has a lot of room to grow on the football field and has a lot of potential. Now let's look at what Pesi Savea can do on the field. Pesi is a big OT that simply dominates his man. He pancakes them or pushes them far back, away from the play. He also seems to thrive in rushing situations, when he has the chance to really drive his man back. I think his pass blocking could use some improvement, but he would be great project for the Red Raiders.
Here are some more recruiting updates:
- Breiden Fehoko, 97 rated DT, preformed well in the Under Armor All American Game. He was either in the backfield or being double team all game long. His highlight was this play made in the 2nd Half, where he throws the opposing guard out of the way.
- Tyron Johnson, 97 rated WR, committed to LSU over Texas Tech during the Under Armor All American Game. The top prospect from Louisiana was expected to go to LSU. Although he's committed, he could his mind before NSD. I wouldn't expect a flip though.
- Kris Boyd, 96 rated DB, named his Top 5 on Friday and Tech did not make the list. Boyd is likely headed to Baylor, Florida State or A&M.
- JoJo Wicker, 94 rated DT, has named Tech in his Top 3 along with UCLA and ASU. Tech was out of JoJo's last list, so it's nice to see us back in the hunt.
- Carlos Strickland, 90 rated WR, is thinking about reconsidering his commitment and will be taking an official visit to Texas this month. UCLA is also hot on his trail. Also, Kingsbury baked him a cake for his birthday.
- Tristen Wallace, 90 rated 2016 ATH, committed to Texas Tech last Sunday night. He choose the Red Raiders over Nebraska, UCLA and Ohio State. He picked Tech because of his relationship with Morris and Kingsbury, and his cousins (the Nickerson brothers) played football there and talked to him about Tech.
- Mike Williams, 90 rated 2016 DT, could make his descion by March. Tech is one of the top teams going after Williams.
- Giovanni LaFrance, NR 2016 LB, looks like he could be receiving an offer soon according to Taylor Hamm or 247sports. He's from Louisiana, so of course, Kevin Curtis is his recruiter.
- Jack Anderson, 90 rated 2017 C, said he's no longer opposed to early commitment. He's been all Tech for a while now, so watch out for his name. Tyler Castaneda is the lone 2017 commit.