We’re now 61 days out from the football season opener against Montana State, which means eight Monday Morning Matadors between you and sweet tortilla flyin’ mayhem. But until then we’re gonna keep up with anything and everything surrounding Tech athletics.
- The baseball team finished ranked fourth on the year with a 46-20 record (16-8 Big 12) after its semi-final finish at the College World Series. It matches Tech’s highest ranking which was given by D1Baseball in 2016.
- Tim Tadlock was voted ABCA/Diamond Regional Coach of the Year.
- Caleb Kilian signed a $400,000 contract with the San Francisco Giants after being picked in the eighth round of the MLB draft.
- Micah Dallas picked to the All-American Second Team by D1Baseball.
- Non-conference schedule features big programs like South Florida, Washington State, Abilene Christian and more.
- Texas Tech Athletics partnered with the Veteran Tickets Foundation, a non-profit, to provide free and discounted sport/concert tickets to verified active military and veterans across the country.
- Defensive back Octavious Morgan medically retired from football. A knee injury sustained before the 2018 season led Morgan to forgo his athletic career, but he will remain on scholarship and continue to rehab with the Texas Tech training staff.
- Patrick Mahomes and TJ Vasher are listed among ESPY Award nominations. Vasher is nominated in the “Best Play” category with his one-handed catch in the 2018 season opener against Ole Miss. Mahomes is nominated in the “Best NFL Player” and “Top Male Athlete” categories after an inexplicably good debut with the Kansas City Chiefs where he threw for over 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns.
- Divine Oduduru wins the Bowerman’s fan vote award with a stunning 48.5 percent final tally.
- Emily Hill and Brooke Kanas selected on the 2019 All-Big 12 Volleyball Preseason Team.