clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Matador Mailbag 8.3.17

New, 9 comments

Viva answers your Tech questions.

NCAA Football: Big 12 Media Days Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Mail Call! We're combining your questions from last week and this week, so bring the heat and ask more questions.

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Bradley, you’re not worrying for nothing. After allowing 30 sacks for a loss of 273 yards last season, we absolutely should expect better. It was great that Mahomes had the confidence to scramble, but he shouldn’t have been scrambling if he trusted his protection in the pocket. Hence why he is not comfortable in the pocket in the NFL. The answer to your question - I’m not sure. We’ve had a ton of turnover especially within the offensive line, so it will be interesting if they’ve had enough time to gel.

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Jason, I respect how you prefaced the questions asking not who I want to be the next Texas Tech head coach, but who would want to be the next coach. Typically, I provide answers with the various qualifications: who is available, what is probable and logical and who is willing to take on the current state of the program. I believe Sonny Combie would care enough to turn the program around at a discounted rate because of his personal connection and seeing Kliff’s contract situation. Nevertheless, his setup at TCU is pretty nice. Here is a curve ball - Chip Kelly?!? Sue me.

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, August 1, 2017

My parents always taught me to dream no little dream ... they also taught me to be realistic ...

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, August 1, 2017

I dig this question! Thank you, Travis. If I know Tech, I’m worried they will underestimate Eastern WA and get punched in the face so I’m calling that a loss. They will surprise everyone the week after, because we love keeping people on their toes so they will beat ASU. And then we will lose to Houston. And following the first three games, I see us going 4-6 if we don’t lose to OSU. We will lose to K State and OU.

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, August 1, 2017

I definitely agree with Mark in the comments section - Kansas. It’s a pretty clutch decision.

It's that time of the week - Mail Call! Ask your Tech questions in the comments section below. #TexasTech

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Hey, Dianne! Would you mind elaborating on this question? I feel it might be a torpedo, but I would love the opportunity to address it appropriately. Because we all know want assuming does to people.

Posted by Viva The Matadors on Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Sorry, Wesley, but questions like this drive me up the wall. It’s like the “how bad does Dak have to play before you call Romo in” circa 2016. There’re a number of elements at play like the offensive line playing weak, horrible game management which also goes along with play calling and injuries before Kliff starts stirring the pot. So the answer to your question, the record shouldn’t be the deciding factor.

Dude has a second chance. He should be motivated, so there better be an impact. And seeing that Tech saw the potential yet again, I trust the coaches are making the right decision offering him another shot. He was leading tackler on East Mississippi that finished 11-1.

Nothing happens. Why? Because Texas Tech doesn’t hold its players accountable and the “earning of the Double T” could be a PR message. To harsh? They’ll still play or they will transfer, because they don’t have the intestinal fortitude. Either way, good riddance.

Cooper, you’re going to get me in trouble. He who should not be named is a dark horse, that is not endorsing he who should not be named, that is an unfortunate fact. Other than that, I’m all for endorsing and holding the fan flag for Sonny Combie. Hopefully, we didn’t burn that bridge by giving Kliff a shot over Sunny in the first place. Purple is a gross color anyway.