Exactly one month from today the Red Raiders will begin the 2017 season, looking to defend their conference title and head back to Omaha for the 3rd time in 4 years. In the 2015 season, Tech did not make the postseason tournament after finishing 3rd in the Big 12, and many believed it was due to a weaker non-conference schedule, and a less than stellar record against that schedule. Last year the Red Raiders went 28-15 in a much tougher schedule, something that Coach Tadlock wants to continue this season.
- Season opens with a 4-game series against Mississippi St and Western Illinois in a 4-game weekend event in Starkville, MS
- Opening game against New Mexico State on February 21st is part of a six game home stand in 7 days that includes 4 against California
- Tech will take part in the Shriner’s Hospital Classic the first weekend of March, matching 3 Big 12 teams (Tech, Baylor, and TCU) against 3 SEC teams (Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and LSU)
- Big 12 play starts on the road in Austin on March 17th. Other Big 12 road series are Oklahoma (March 31st-April 2nd), Kansas St (April 13th-15th), and West Virginia (May 5th-7th)
- Big 12 home series against Baylor (April 7th-9th), Oklahoma St (April 21st-23rd), TCU (April 28th-30th), and Kansas (May 18th-20th)
- Non conference opponents include 2016 CWS runner-up Arizona (March 7th) and 2016 Lubbock regional opponent New Mexico (February 28th and April 11th)
By The Numbers
- 18 games against teams that made the 2016 NCAA tournament
- 11 games against teams that made 2016 Super Regional
- 7 games against teams that made the 2016 CWS
- 27 games at Rip Griffin Park, with another 8 games played elsewhere in the state of Texas
- Top 25 preseason rankings of opponents by Perfect Game; TCU (1), LSU (2), Ole Miss (8), Oklahoma St (11), Texas (17), and Arizona (25). Tech is not ranked and is not receiving any votes.
- In the D1 Baseball rankings released today, Tech was ranked #14. Red Raider opponents in their rankings include TCU (1), LSU (5), Arizona (19), and Texas A&M (20).
- Big 12 Conference tournament will be May 24th-28th in Oklahoma City
Next week, we’ll take a look at how the outfield stacks up this season