Hello VTM. There is not going to be a lot of info this week due to the fact there isn't a lot of info and it was move-in weekend for me. Also, I'm running out of players for the 2015 class in both football and basketball. I started out recruiting 3 players per post early on in the year, and now I'm running out of player I can review. Here is the list of the players I have recruiting thus far:
If there is a 2015 player not on this list you want me to review, just list it below in the comments (or if you don't comment, you can click on my profile and email me). Now let's take a look at LB BJ Ojo and SG Chad Lott
BJ Ojo - Linebacker (Manvel HS, Manvel, TX)
|Height||Weight||40 time||Shuttle||Vertical||Squat||Bench Press|
|6'2"||200 lbs||4.58||4.39||39"||585 lbs||315 lbs|
Interest: Colorado *(Cool), Louisiana Tech *(Cool), Houston *(Cool), Texas Tech *(Cool)
Iyare "BJ" Ojo first showed up on the Red Raiders' radar during a satellite camp in Houston. He attended the camp along with fellow Manvel teammates Gary Hayes, D'Eriq King and Deontay Anderson. He doesn't have any offer so far, but Ojo has interest from a lot of programs. I don't think a team like Tech will offer Ojo, but maybe the Red Raiders are looking for possible walk-ons for the 2015 class. Other big programs in Texas looking at Ojo are Baylor and Texas A&M. He did attend an A&M junior day and Colorado camp according to 247sports, but that's all it list. Neither 247 or Rivals has ranked Ojo (although 247 once had him at a 78) and ESPN doesn't have a profile of him at all. Now let's take a look at what BJ Ojo can do on the field. After looking at his film, there is no doubt that Ojo loves to tackle. He hits his opponent hard and does it often. He also has the speed and strength to make those tackles count. The numbers above are from his Hudl, but if they are true, those are some impressive stats. If Tech has a scholarship left, I think Ojo may be a good player to go after. With his toughness and apparent speed and strength, I think he has shot to be a valuable member of a football team. With Tech recruited King and Anderson hard at Manvel, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of Ojo in the future.
Chad Lott - Shooting Guard (CE Bryd, Shreveport, LA)
Interest: LSU (Warm), SMU (Warm), Houston (Warm), Texas Tech (Warm)
We haven't talked about Chad Lott at all, but that was because I simply didn't know about him. However, Chad Lott said a couple weeks ago that Texas Tech made his Top 6 along with LSU, Houston, SMU, Creighton and UNLV. Lott has roughly 14 offer according to recruiting services, but Texas Tech isn't listed as having an offer, the only one of the Top 6 teams. However, Lott claims to have an offer from his Top 6 teams according to Scout. In that same article, it also says that he plans to commit before the early signing period in November. Tech will likely be looking to add a shooting guard with Hannahs transferring and both Williams and Gotcher being juniors, so Lott may be their replacement once they leave. Now let's take a look at what Lott can do on the basketball court. What I liked about Lott is his ability to drive his way through the paint and finish at the rim. He can weave and navigate his way through traffic and finish at the rim. He also has somewhat of an outside shot and is not afraid to pull up from three. Something about his shot bothers me, but as long as it goes in, it's ok with me. I don't know for sure if Tech really has offered him a scholarship or not, but Lott is a player for watch out for. If Wendall Mitchell or Jordan Jackson don't work out, Lott would be a nice pick-up.
Here are some more updates:
- Isaiah Manderson, 88 rated C, committed to Texas Tech Friday afternoon. He becomes the 7th and final commit of the 2014 class, bringing depth and talent to the center position. He is allowed to play this year
- Justin Reid, 93 rated S, has named Texas Tech in his top group according to scout. The info is behind a paywall, but they said on Twitter that Reid included Tech in his final group.
- Jarrett Stidham, 98 rated QB commit, signed his finical aid agreement last week, officially sealing his commitment with the Red Raiders
- Breiden Fehoko, 97 rated DT commit, also signed his finical aid agreement last week, sealing a commitment with Texas Tech.
- Lio Lafaele, 87 rated JUCO OT commit, will redshirt this year so he can have 3 years to play 3 seasons at Texas Tech. Also doing this to make sure he gets his grades up.
- Tyron Johnson, 97 rated WR, name his Top 10 on Monday and Texas Tech was listed. He says that is Top 10 list is in no order. However, in a Rivals story behind a paywall, it was mentioned that Clemson was on Top for Johnson.
- Jordan Jackson, NR PG, has named a Top 6 and Texas Tech made the list along with Tulsa, SFA, Houston, Rice and Bowling Green.
- Wendall Mitchell, 88 rated SG, named his Top 5 on Sunday, listing Texas Tech along with Auburn, Baylor, Kansas State and SMU. He isn't a guy I've mentioned a lot, but a name to definitely keep an eye on
- CJ Williamson, NR SF, will now visit October 18th instead of September 13th for the Arky game. His other two official visits are Virginia Tech (9/12) and Clemson (9/22)
- Kaiser Gates, 93 rated SF, named his Top 8 yesterday and listed Texas Tech as one of the schools. Mizzou looks to be the leader for Gates right now.
- Remember that RB in Jarrett Sitdham's video y'all thought was good. Well in the new 247sports ranking, 2017 RB Kaegun Williams is rated a 91 overall and 75th overall on 247sports.
- Lubbock HS SS Michael Davis will play for Texas Tech next season. Not sure if he will be under scholarship or not, but with Proudfoot and Burleson entering their senior seasons, Tech will need depth at those positions.