Position Preview: The Offensive Line.
Roster Analysis. From the LAJ, a short blurb about each player and a quote from a coach. I just summarize and you click on the link to read it:
* NG Rika Levi: Still adjusting to the pace, from lining up to execution of the play.
* NG Marcus Smith: Currently at noseguard, having some issues with alignment, assignment and technique and bursting to the ball.
* DT Jackson Richards: Currently starting with Branden Jackson and Demetrius Alston along the defensive line, a blue collar worker and not ready to give up the starting spot.
The best part of this roster analysis is that all of these three defensive linemen are going to be part of the rotation (hopefully) and there are more players rather than just this just being the only guys that can play.
Symmank Takes Punting Job. Per the LAJ, it sounds like we have filled in at least one person on the depth chart as P Taylor Symmank will take over punting duties and Symmank is working on continuing to work on his strength and work on his game:
"I'm always trying to do something new, trying to figure out ways to elevate my game," he said. "Going to various camps. Hanging out with different people that kick and (learning) what they do that makes them successful so I can be successful as well.
"The program we have here with (strength and conditioning) coach (Chad) Dennis has really helped a lot with my physical (preparation), just being ready and helping my leg be as explosive as it can be. I think those are the two big things that helped me this year."
Check out the most recent FanShots.
Underrated. Athlon Sports writes that QB Davis Webb is one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the nation:
There are few players in the nation who are safer bets to reach 4,000 yards and/or 30 touchdown passes this year than Webb. He proved himself as a freshman last year, throwing for over 300 yards five times in just six starts - including his marquee, 385-yard performance in the upset of Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl. Look for monster numbers from Tech's quarterback this fall.
I'd be pretty happy with those numbers as long as the rushing numbers are increased, otherwise, 4,000 yards might not be enough. For whatever reason, I'm thinking that the rushing numbers are going to be significantly increased, so Webb's yards are probably going to be around the 4,000 yard mark (he had around 2,700 last year).
Miscellaneous. NewsOK wonders where all of the big 12 quarterbacks have gone . . . CBS Sports writes that OU may misapply the "run off" rule . . . there is a short article from the LAJ on Central Arkansas, but on my end at 4:27 am it looks incomplete . . . SI released their 2014 preseason Top 25 . . .
- What's Your Major? The Majors of Texas Tech's Football Team
- Red Raider Gridiron: Practice #9 Recap, Links, Quotes and Video
- Like Viva The Matadors on Facebook!
- Possible Red Raiders: A Weekly Recruiting Update - 8/12/2014
- Red Raider Gridiron: Texas Tech to Outperform Expectations? Washington's Time to Shine