Kenneth McGruder - Safety (Alief Taylor HS, Houston, TX)
|6'2"||203 lbs||4.5||305 lbs||385 lbs|
Interest: Texas Tech (Warmer), TCU (Warmer), Nebraska (Warmer), Oklahoma State (Warm)
Kenneth McGruder was offered by Texas Tech during a Houston camp in June, while he was committed to Oklahoma State. He was still looking at other schools, but stated that he was committed to Oklahoma State at the time. He was one of the DB's I wanted most, but I didn't think Tech would have a shot. However, things changed when McGruder thought it over and announced his decommitment from the Cowboys just last week. Kenneth told Scout that he would open his recruitment back up (before announcing it via twitter) and will listen to any schools trying to recruit him. He has already visited Nebraska in September and has set up a visit with Texas Tech sometime in the near future. Texas Tech doesn't have a DB yet this class, and the Red Raiders would like to add a few to the 2015 class. McGruder is a lot like Bethel for me last year; a Defensive Back already committed to another program that I wanted badly and thought we didn't have a chance to get him. Obviously with the recent news, that changes. Now let's look at what Kenneth McGruder can do on film. McGruder is a big bodied DB, something that Texas Tech doesn't really have right now. He is tall and has a lot of weight and strength. Tech really doesn't have a CB or Safety now that has that kind of power. Kenneth can tackle well and hits his opposition hard. He wraps up and brings his man to the ground. He also forced a few turnovers in his highlight film, including 2 INTs and a stripped fumble. If Tech wants to be able to stop those big targets in the Big XII, having someone like McGruder is necessary. Hopefully he ends up with the Red Raiders.
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1659357/highlights/207763379' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
Darreon Jackson - Safety (Derby HS, Derby, KS)
|Height||Weight||40 time||Shuttle||Vertical||Power Throw||Bench||Squat|
|6'1"||190 lbs||4.48||4.31||36"||35.5'||263 lbs||501 lbs|
Interest: Kansas State (Warm), Kansas (Warm), Boise State (Warm), Texas Tech (Warm)
Darreon Jackson was offered by the Red Raiders this past week, receiving his 10th offer. Tech doesn't have any DBs in the 2015 class, so they're trying to find some bodies to fill their needs. One position they could use depth at is at Safety, with some 2014 commits not on the team anymore and others not completely healthy. I don't know a whole lot about Jackson, but I do know he visited Kansas in September and is really interested in both Kansas and Kansas State. He told 247sports that he plans to cut his list soon, but there are four teams that they currently have on top; Kansas, Kansas State, Boise State and Texas Tech. Jackson is currently being recruited by Matt Brock. Let's take a look now at what Darreon Jackson can on the field. What I like about Darreon is his ball hawking ability. He has a knack for the football and can make plays when needed. You see him in the film picking off balls and running them back for TDs, along with returning Kick-offs for TDs as well. Tech hasn't really done a whole lot in the return game this year, so having another returner could benefit Texas Tech. He also never gives up on the play, chasing down ball carriers even after it looks like he's long out of the equation. Darreon also has a nice form tackle, which has a problem a lot for the defensive this year. Despite his low rating on some sites, I think he would be a nice guy to add to the class. He also a lot of skill and potential and could turn into a great player with the right coaching.
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/598132/highlights/163562382' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here are some more recruiting updates:
- Jarrett Sitdham, 98 rated QB commit, got his Under Amour jersey a week and a half ago. Here is a video of him receiving his jersey. He thanks his coaches and teammates and can't wait till get to the Under Amour All American game to talk with recruits again.
- Breiden Fehoko, 97 rated DT commit, received his Under Armour All American jersey last week. He was emotional during the event and couldn't wait til he got to Texas Tech. Great to see a guy with such great character who wants to be at Tech.
- Corey Dauphine, 92 rated RB commit, said on Twitter that he was no longer visiting schools and will shut down his recruitment. He was planning to visit Arkansas and Florida, but decided Tech was the place for him. Dauphine was Tech's first commit of the 2015 class.
- Semisi Uluave, 91 rated OG, said to Fehoko on twitter that he planned to visit Texas Tech in January. Apparently Breiden will be his host.
- Jaylon Lane, 89 rated DB, decommitted from Oklahoma State last week. Apparently he got in some trouble, but I'm not going to post that here. You can look it up if your interested in what he did. I'm not sure if Tech is still interest or not despite the incident.
- Darrell Stewart, 87 rated ATH, has committed to Michigan State after visiting there this weekend. Tech offered him back in September.
- Jordan Jackson trying to compete with Zach Smith as the best dunker for Texas Tech. He dunked over a 7'0" guy in his high school game last week. No that's not a typo.
- Jeffery Okudah, NR 2017 ATH, received his 2nd offer from Texas Tech this past week. His other offer is from Oregon State
- Anthony Hines III, 90 rated 2017 LB, decommitted from Mississippi State this week. He did this about a day after Miss St. stripped a scholarship from one of their players who was about to graduate in 2 weeks and enroll in the Spring. Miss St is going to have a rough time recruiting in Texas.
Texas Tech announced that they have the 14th ranked class in the nation after the early signing period. This could change after the MLB draft, but that's the highest Tech has been at this point in the recruiting season. They are 1st in the Big XII, with TCU being the next closed eleven spots away at #25. They have 3 players ranked in the Top 50 players in the country. Here is the list of the commitments (info from TexasTech.com):
|Trent Clark (#9 in nation)||OF||6'0 200 lbs L/L||Richland Hills HS, Fort Worth, TX|
|Aaron Coates||LHP||6'1" 205 lbs L/L||Glasgow HS, Newark, DE|
|Robert Dugger||RHP||6'2" 165 lbs R/R||Cisco College, Cisco, TX|
|Chandler Eden (#1 JUCO in nation)||RHP||6'4" 175 lbs R/R||Vavapai CC, Yuba City, CA (from Oregon State)|
|Cody Farhat||OF||5'11" 175 lbs R/R||Plano Senior, Plano, TX|
|Tyler Fowler||INF||6'0" 170 lbs S/R||Cleburne HS, Cleburne, TX|
|Ty Harpenau||RHP||6'1" 175 lbs R/R||Southside HS, Fort Smith, AR|
|Hayden Howard||LHP||6'4" 185 lbs R/L||Seward County CC, Liberal, KS|
|Erikson Lanning (Top 300 player)||LHP||6'2" 165 lbs S/L||Sequoyah HS, Woodstock, GA|
|Davis Martin||RHP/OF||6'2" 220 lbs L/R||Central HS, San Angelo, TX|
|Bret Mathis||LHP||6'0" 175 lbs L/L||Bosqueville HS, Waco, TX|
|Josh Naylor (#31 in Nation)||INF/OF||6'1" 225 lbs L/L||St. Joan of Arc, Mississauga, Ontario, CA|
|Jon Nicholson||RHP||6'4" 240 lbs R/R||Cooper HS, Abilene, TX|
|Blaine Prescott||INF||5'10" 185 lbs R/R||Midland College, Midland, TX|
|Tony Santillan (#29 in Nation)||RHP/INF||6'3" 195 lbs R/.R||Seguin HS, Arlington, TX|
|Ryan Shetter||RHP||6'2" 190 lbs R/R||Friendswood HS, Friendswood, TX|
|Mark Simon||RHP||6'1" 200 lbs R/R||New Mexico JC, Hobbs, NM|
|Braden Williams||C||5'9" 160 lbs L/R||Nimitz HS, Irving, TX|
I'll have a more in depth article once the football season is over with and I'm out of school.
How did the 2014 commits do?
|Patrick Mahomes||23-35||328 yards||4 TDs, 1 INT, 1 FUM|
|11 rushes||45 yards|
|Justin Stockston||4 rushes||5 ayrds|
|1 catch||-2 yards|
|Ian Sadler||5 catches||65 yards|
|Devin Lauderdale||2 catches||95 yards||2 TDs|
|Cameron Batson||2 catches||10 yards|
|Tevin Madison||11 tackles (1.5 TFL)||1 Pass Breakup|
|Derrick Dixon||5 tackles||5 Solo|
|Nigel Bethel II||2 tackles (1 Solo)||1 Pass Breakup|
|Rika Levi||1 tackle||1 Solo|
|Marcus Smith||1 tackle||1 Assist|
How did the 2015 commits do?
|Jarrett Stidham||Stephenville beats Estacado 69-60||Stidham threw for 341 yards and 6 TDs. He ran for 181 yards 3 TDs. That's a lot of TDs.|
|Carlos Strickland||Skyline beats Belton 49-7||Couldn't find stats (did this too late) but he did have a 4-yard TD|
|Conner Dyer||Mesquite Horn beats Rowlett 34-22|
|Broadrick Washington||Longview loses to Lake Ridge 37-35|
|Courtney Wallace||Neville beats to Breaux Bridge 56-14|