Tristen Wallace - Dual Threat Quarterback (DeSoto HS, DeSoto, TX)
Interest: Ohio State (Warm), UCLA (Warm), Texas Tech (Warm), Nebraska (Warm)
Tristen Wallace was just offered by Texas Tech a few days ago, becoming only the 6th QB offered since Kingsbury took over the head coaching job in December of 2013. Texas Tech was the 6th offer, with other offers coming from Indiana, SMU, Nebraska, Ohio State and UCLA. Texas Tech is familiar with the DeSoto team, already offering 2017 WR KD Nixon, but hadn't offered Wallace until now. One reason why Tech might've waited until now to offer him may be because he missed the start of the season with an ankle injury, who finally returned last week. It's evident that Kingsbury wants to run a system with a Dual Threat QB (after tomorrow's game, I can see why), and Wallace looks like he's a type of QB Kingsbury wants, big and fast. Now let's take a look at what Tristen Wallace can do on film. Wallace is tall QB who has explosive speed who can hit the hole and sprint several yards down the field before being touched. He runs the option well and has enough acceleration to hit the hole hard and leave defenders in the dust. Not only that, but he has good balance and keeps his feet moving, making him hard to bring down. I haven't a whole of film on him throwing, but from what I've seen, he tries to get the ball in tight windows where only his receiver can get it. From what I've seen of Wallace, he seems like someone that Tech would love to have on their roster. I think we'll continue to see this coaching staff around DeSoto recruiting Wallace and a handful of other athletes.
D'Eriq King - Athlete, Dual Threat Quarterback (Manvel HS, Manvel, TX)
Interest: Texas Tech (Warm), Baylor (Warm), UCLA (Warm), Texas *(Warm)
Texas Tech offered D'Eriq King after his performance at a Texas Tech camp in Houston and have been hot on his trail ever since. Shortly after Texas Tech offered King in June, he listed UCLA and Texas Tech as his favorites. He ended up visiting Lubbock the following month and put the Red Raiders in his Top 3 following the visit, along with UCLA and Texas. He watched UCLA and Texas go at it back in September at AT&T Stadium. UCLA offered King back in May and Texas has yet to offer King. D'Eriq is probably one of Tech's most sought out targets for the 2015, as Tech has been recruiting him hard. I'm not weather he would play WR or CB for the Red Raiders, but those are the two positions Tech is likely looking at King for. If I had to guess, I would say WR. Now let's take a look at what D'Eriq King can do on film. What I like about King is his ability to create plays with his legs. He has incredibly fast speed and accelerates quickly. This allows him to get around defenders and hits holes perfectly. He also has that "it" factor when running the football, dodging defenders and making plays happen when they look like the play is that. Not only that, but he's also stronger than he appears, shaking off guys and breaking tackles. Hopefully Kingsbury and Co continue to recruit D'Eriq hard and get him in a Red Raider uniform.
Here are some more updates:
- Tyron Johnson, 97 rated WR, told Rivals that his favorites were Texas Tech (because they throw the ball a lot), Auburn, Oregon and Oklahoma State (because they are bigger programs). He still plans to visit Texas Tech again and will be deciding at the Under Amour All American game.
- Jarrett Stidham, 98 rated QB commit, received his Under Amour All American jersey this week. He will be the second Texas Tech player ever in the event (other was Jackson Richards). Breiden Fehoko will receive his jersey this week.
- Arden Key, 95 rated DE, will be visiting Texas Tech on December 5th. He is currently committed to South Carolina, but is still taking his official visit s. No sure on his chances of flipping.
- Kahlil Haughton, 92 rated S, looked to have enjoyed his time last weekend. He came with his mom and brother a took a few pics while there. He is deciding between OU, BU, Arkansas, Nebraska and Texas Tech.
- Fred Ulu Perry, 95 rated C, also visited Texas Tech this weekend and also looked like he enjoyed his visit. He didn't tweet much during the visit, but he did talk to the Fehoko's while he was there. Him and the Fehoko's are are close
- Corey Dauphine, 92 rated RB, visited WSU a few weeks back and visited Tennessee last weekend. He said he enjoyed his visit there a lot, which got some people worried about his commitment level. I don't know all the details (because I don't have any paying accounts), but I personally think he'll sign with Tech on NSD. He is also planning a visit to Arkansas and Florida.
- Conner Dyer, 87 rated OT, talked with RaiderPower.com after his playoff victory. He told them that he's committed to Tech and when coaches call him, says that his commitment is shut down and he's fully committed. Also talks to Stidham, Akamnonu and Fehoko a lot and is recruiting guys in the area. My favorite line of the way interview was "It's just fun to smash people"
- Tony Brown, 82 rated WR, named Texas Tech his favorite before his visit to Tech last weekend. Tech is looking to add a couple WRs to the 2015 class.
- CJ Williamson and Jordan Jackson both signed their NLI's on Wednesday and are officially Red Raiders. Here's Seth C's story from earlier in the week.
- TJ Vasher, 88 rated 2016 WR, received his first offer from Texas Tech this past week. He is from Wichita Falls and is coached by Eric Ward.
- Jack Anderson, 90 rated 2017 C, visited Tech once again this weekend and looked like to have a great time once again.
- Mike Williams, 91 rated 2016 DT, visited Tech this weekend and enjoyed his visit. He told RaiderPower.com that Texas Tech "will be the place to be in a few years"
How did the 2014 commits do?
|Patrick Mahomes||27-50||393 yards||4 TDs|
|8 rushes||19 yards|
|Justin Stockton||3 rushes||28 yards|
|1 catch||12 yards|
|Ian Sadler||4 catches||89 yards||1 TD|
|Devin Lauderdale||5 catches||83 yards||1 TD|
|Cameron Batson||1 catch||3 yards|
|Nigel Bethel||8 tackles||8 solo|
|Tevin Madison||7 tackles||1 INT|
|Derrick Dixon||3 tackles||2 solo|
|Keland McElrath||2 tackles||2 assist|
|Rika Levi||1 tackle||1 solo|
How did the 2015 commits do?
Here's a list of whose team's lost and won from the first round of the playoffs:
|Jarrett Stidham||Stephenville beat Decatur 66-64. Stidham did not play|
|Breiden Fehoko||Farrington lost to Mililani 17-14 in the Semi-Finals|
|Conner Dyer||Mesquite Horn beat Irving MacArthur (my alma mater) 48-34|
|Madison Akamnonu||Arlington Bowie lost to San Angelo Central 55-52 in 2OT|
|Carlos Strickland||Dallas Skyline beat Richardson Lake Highlands 41-14.|
|Johnathan Giles||Fort Bend Elkins lost to Richmond George Ranch 35-20|
|Courtney Wallace||Neville beats Riverdale 57-7|
|Broadrick Washington||Longview beat Lufkin 43-42|