The third game of the Red and Black series was this Tuesday, with the series tied 1-1 and a chance to take a 2-1 lead. Here were the line-ups:
The game looked like it was going to be a pitching match-up at first, with Dusek and Smith doing well. However, Dusek started to lose command in the 2nd inning and couldn't pitch a strike, allowing 2 hits, 2 runs and walking 3 batters in a road to the 4-8 hitters. Garret Bruce then came in and got out of bases loaded jam, only allowing 1 run off a sacrifice by Cory Raley. After that, it became a pitchers dual between Garrett Bruce and Cameron Smith, combining for 12 strikeouts and 0 earned runs through 5 innings of pitching. In the 7th inning, Parker Mushinski hit triple pass 2B Orlando Garcia for a triple, scoring Michael Davis. Cory Raley would hit Parker home on an out the following AB. The Red team finally got a the board in the 8th with a Solo shot to deep right by Will Hairston. The game ended in the top of the 9th with the red team threatening, but Jackson Lancaster prevented the Red Team from getting on the board again. The Black Team won 5-1 to take a 2-1 series lead heading into tomorrow.
Here are some thoughts from the game:
- Lot of strikeouts in the game. Some nasty pitches by the pitchers but also some bad pitches taken by the batters.
- Tim Proudfoot and Cory Raley once again had good games defensively, while Michael Davis and Tanner Gardner made errors in the game.
- Saw a first glimpse of Parker Mushinski today, and he did well pinch hitting for Hunter Southernland.
- Anthony Lyons made a nice catch in RF. After a bad defensive glove in the scrimmage earlier in the year and in Game 1, looks like Lyons is doing better.
- Dylan Dusek didn't play well today. Not sure if he just had a bad outing or if something is wrong. He was supposed to start last week but got scratched
|Black Team||Red Team|
|SS Cory Raley||0-2||2 RBI||CF Zach Davis||0-4||2 K, BB|
|CF Hunter Hargrove||0-4||C Kholeton Sanchez||1-4||H, 3 K|
|RF Stephen Smith||0-4||K||LF Will Hairston||1-4||H, RBI, HR, K|
|1B Eric Gutierrez||2-4||2 H||RF Anthony Lyons||1-4||H, K, SB|
|LF Quinn Carpenter||1-4||H, 3 K||SS Tim Proudfoot||1-4||H, K|
|3B Tanner Gardner||1-3||H, BB, K, SB, E||1B Nick Marshall||1-4||H, CS|
|C Tyler Floyd||0-3||BB, RBI||3B Ryan Long||2-4||H|
|2B Michael Davis||2-2||H, 2B, BB, RBI, E||DH Landon Darwin||1-4||H, K|
|DH Hunter Southerland||0-2||2 K||2B Orlando Garcia||2-3||H, K|
|- DH Parker Mushinski||1-1||H, 3B, RBI|
|LHP Cameron Smith||5.0||5 H, 6 K||LHP Dylan Dusek||1.0||3 ER, 2 R, 2H, 3 BB|
|RHP Matt Custard||3.0||ER, R, 4 H, 3K, BB||RHP Garrett Bruce||5.0||R, 2 H, 6 K|
|RHP Justin Bethard||1.0||H||LHP Jackson Landcaster||2.0||2 ER, R, 3H, K|
Here is your starting line-up for Game 4:
The game started out with a quick first inning, followed by two impressive back to back innings by the Red Team. After Landon Darwin walked in the 2nd, Kholton Sanchez hit him home on a triple that hit the LF wall. In the following inning, after Will Hairston and Anthony Lyons got on base, Tim Proudfoot hit a ball past the Center Fielder for a 2 RBI Triple. On the other side of the inning, Jacob Patterson was dealing. In the 5 innings, he only allowed 2 hits and 2 balls, striking out 2 batters and not allowing a single run. In the bottom of the 5th, Anthony Lyons hit Will Hairston home on a double, increasing the lead to 4-0. In the following Inning, Orlando Garcia hit a double down the left foul line to score Kholton Sanchez from 1st base. While this was going on, Sean Thompson was relieving Patterson and doing a heck of a job doing so. The Red Team would score again in the bottom of the 8th to secure a 6-0 victory over the Black Team. The series is now tied 2-2 heading into tomorrow's final game.
Here are some thoughts on the game:
- Jacob Patterson has been phenomenal this series. He has a 2-0 record with a 1.13 ERA, only allowing 1 run. Great stats for the Left Handed Freshman.
- Ty Damron struggled again today. The former 13th round pick hasn't done very well this series after a rough year last year.
- William Hairston and Anthony Lyons did great today, getting on base a total of 7 times in 8 AB. They were a big reason why the Red Team won today. Both are making a case to be a DH this upcoming season (unless one of them wins an OF spot)
- No errors made by either side today, so that's a positive sign. Tech had the best defensive in the Big XII last season, with the key duo (Proudfoot and Burleson) returning.
- Johnathan Tripp batted twice today, which isn't something I saw year. He is pitcher (in fact, he pitched this game) and doesn't bat usually. Tech's pitchers don't usually bat during the season.
Here are the stats:
|Black Team||Red Team|
|SS Cory Raley||1-4||H, K||CF Zach Davis||1-5||H|
|LF Hunter Hargrove||1-4||H, SB||3B Ryan Long||0-4||2 K|
|CF Stephen Smith||2-4||2 H, 2B||1B Will Hairston||3-4||3 H, 2B, SB|
|1B Eric Gutierrez||2-4||2 H, K||RF Anthony Lyons||3-3||3 H, 2B, RBI, BB, SB|
|RF Quinn Carpenter||0-4||2 K||SS Tim Proudfoot||1-3||H, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, K|
|3B Tanner Gardner||1-3||H, BB||C Nick Marshall||0-4|
|C Tyler Floyd||0-4||DH Landon Darwin||2-3||2 H, BB|
|2B Michael Davis||0-3||K||LF Kholton Sanchez||2-4||2 H, 2B, 3B, RBI|
|DH Johnathan Tripp||0-2||2B Orlando Garcia||1-2||H, 2B, 2 RBI, K|
|- Parker Mushinski||0-1|
|LHP Ty Damron (L)||3.0||3 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 2 K||LHP Jacob Patterson (W)||5.0||2 H, 2 K, BB|
|RHP Johnathan Tripp||3.0||2 ER, 5 H, BB, K||RHP Sean Thompson (S)||4.0||4 H, 2K|
|LHP Hunter Raley||2.0||ER, 3 H, K|
For more in depth stats, click here TTU_Game_4_Baseball.0.xlsx
Tomorrow's game will decide the series, tomorrow at 3:30pm
With the Series tied 2-2, it would come down to Game 5. Here were the line-ups:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TexasTech?src=hash">#TexasTech</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedBlackSeries?src=hash">#RedBlackSeries</a> - Game 5 Starting Lineups <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WreckEm?src=hash">#WreckEm</a> - First pitch at 3:30 p.m. <a href="http://t.co/VaIZo2gl8C">pic.twitter.com/VaIZo2gl8C</a></p>— Scott Lacefield (@ScottLacefield) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottLacefield/status/527911169374187521">October 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Dominic Moreno and Corey Taylor looked good in the 1st two innings, with Moreno striking out the side in the 2nd inning. Nick Marshall scored on an error to take a 1-0 lead in the 2nd, but then trouble came in the 3rd inning for the Red Team. Cory Raley hit home Michael Davis on a single up the middle. The next inning, Smith, Gutierrez and Carpenter got on base with no outs in the 4th. After a Gardner groundout, Tyler Floyd hit a grounder up the middle to score Gutierrez and Carpenter. Then Mushinski hit home Gardner two batter later, with Raley hitting home Flyod after that. The Black Team took a 5-1 lead after 4 innings. The next inning, Tanner Gardner hit home Gutierrez and Carpenter off a long drive. The inning after that, Hunter Hargrove hit home Parker Mushinski on a double, followed by a Gutierrez double that scored Hargrove and Stephen Smith. The Black Team now had a 10-1 lead. After the Red Team scored in the 6th, they broke out for 4 runs against OF Stephen Smith, thanks to two walks, a double by Lyons and a double by Landon Darwin. However, it wasn't enough to get the victory, as the Black Team won 10-6 and won the series 3-2.
Here are my thoughts on the game:
- Dominic Moreno struggled again today after a good 2nd inning. He had this problem once Big XII play started last season and it happened again tonight.
- When the game was out of reach, OF Stephen Smith came in to pitch, getting a huge ovation from the crowd. He didn't do that good though, giving up two hits, two walks and giving up two runs. There's a reason why he's an OF for Tech (and a pretty good one).
- Both teams used 6 pitchers today, trying out different pitchers to see how they would do. Got a look at all the different relievers for the Red Raiders
- With the exception of an error on Gutierrez and Carpenter, a lot of good defense today.
- There were many points in the game where the Black team kept on getting hits every minute or so and I started losing track of stats, so some of the stats aren't 100% accurate.
Here are the Stats:
|Black Team||Red Team|
|2B Cory Raley||3-6||3 H, 2 RBI, K||CF Zach Davis||1-4||H, 3B, BB, CS, E|
|LF Hunter Hargrove||1-5||H, 2B, RBI, R||3B Ryan Long||0-5||K, BB|
|CF Stephen Smith||1-5||H, R||LF Will Hairston||2-2||2 H, 2 BB|
|1B/RF Eric Gutierrez||3-4||3H, 2B, 2 RBI, K, BB, E, R||RF Anthony Lyons||2-2||2 H, 2 RBI, 2 SAC|
|RF/DH Quinn Carpenter||2-5||2 H, 2B, 3 K, 2 R||SS Tim Proudfoot||0-3||RBI, 2 K, SAC|
|- 1B Johnathan Tripp||C Nick Marshall||1-3||H, 2B, BB, K|
|3B Tanner Gardner||2-5||H, 2 RBI, 2 K, R||1B Landon Darwin||1-4||H, 2B, 2 RBI|
|C Tyler Floyd||3-5||3 H, 2B, 2 RBI, R||DH Kholeton Sanchez||0-4|
|SS Michael Davis||1-5||H, K, R||2B Orlando Garcia||2-4||2 H, K|
|DH Parker Mushinski||1-2||H, RBI, 2 BB, HBP|
|- Hunter Southerland|
|RHP Corey Taylor (W)||4.0||ER, 5 H, K, BB||RHP Dominic Moreno (L)||4.0||4 ER, 5 R, 6 H, 3 K|
|LHP Parker Mushinski||1.0||H||RHP Dalton Brown||0.2||2 ER, 4 H|
|LHP Trevor Eulahbach||1.0||ER, BB||RHP Heath Harrington||1.1||3 ER, 2 H, 3 K, BB|
|RHP Matt Riney||1.0||K||RHP Zach Heard||1.0||H, HBP|
|RHP Stephen Smith||0.0||4 ER, 2 R, 2 H, 2 BB||RHP Blake Douglas||1.0||K, BB|
|RHP Justin Bethard (S)||2.0||2 R, H, 3 K||LHP Zach Landcaster||1.0||H, K, BB|
For the Full Stats, you can get them here TTU_Game_5_Baseball.0.xlsx
Black Team wins the series 3-2.