The first game of the Red and Black Series was earlier today and we got a look at what the new players can do and how the returning ones are doing.
First off, here is the roster and starting line-up for today's game:
Rosters for Game 1 pic.twitter.com/0ppeIDLssQ— MikeŦŦU (@Michael_LaB) October 20, 2014
The game started off as a pitching dual between Cameron Smith and Garrett Bruce, exchanging outs and only allowing 2 hits altogether in the first 3 innings. Then in the top of the 4th inning, Red team Catcher Nick Marshall hit home Tim Proudfoot after a sacrifice by Anthony Lyons. In the bottom of the 4th, after Stephen Smith and Eric Gutierrez got aboard, Freshmen Tanner Gardner hit a line drive to right field to score Smith. Gutierrez would later score on a wild pitch by Bruce. After the 4th inning, the Black team started dominating. SS Cory Raley scored on a sacrifice from Gutierrez after advancing on two walks. Michael Davis hit a 340 ft home run in the 6th inning, scoring himself and Tyler Floyd. Later that inning, Hunter Hargrove hit home Cory Raley on a triple and scored on an error by Ryan Long. This was all capped off by a towering Home Run by newcomer Quinn Carpenter. Red Team tired to make a late run with a William Hairston 3-Run shot, but it wasn't enough to catch-up, as the Black Team won 8-5.
Here are some other thoughts from the game:
- Anthony Lyons again seemed to struggle with the glove. I don't think he'll start in the outfield if he can't make plays.
- A bunch of new faces did well today. Tanner Gardner was a major offensive contributor, Quinn Carpenter showed his power, the Raley brothers performed well and Nick Marshall contributed with both his bat and glove.
- They are using new balls for the NCAA this year, and we saw the difference they make with 3 HRs hit. You're going to see a lot of the long ball
- Zach Davis is proving to be a strong candidate to crack the starting line-up going 3-5 with an RBI today, along with a good glove.
- Bryant Burleson and Tyler Neslong both sat out today (Red Team) likely to give the other players start. We'll probably see them in the line-up tomorrow.
- No sign of recognizable names last year, like Matt Broadbent and Alec Humphries. Not sure if they're off the team or just not participating in Fall Ball.
Here are their stats:
|Red Team||Black Team|
|CF Zach Davis||3-5||3 H, R, RBI, 2 SB, 1 CS||SS Cory Raley||2-3||2 H, 2 BB, 3B, 2 R's, E, CS|
|SS Tim Proudfoot||1-3||1 H, 1 K, 2 BB, R||CF Hunter Hargrove||1-3||H, 2 BB, 3B, RBI, R|
|1B William Hairston||2-4||2 H, 1 K, 1 BB, HR, 3 RBI's||RF Stephen Smith||0-3||K, BB, HBP, R|
|RF Anthony Lyons||1-3||1 H, HBP||1B Eric Gutierrez||1-5||H, K, RBI, R|
|C Nick Marshall||1-2||1 H, 3 BB, RBI, SB||LF Quinn Carpenter||1-4||H, HR, RBI, R|
|2B Ryan Long||0-5||3 K's, E||3B Tanner Gardner||2-4||2 H, 2B, 2 RBI's|
|LF Landon Darwin||0-4||1 K||Hunter Southerland||0-4||3 K|
|3B Orlando Garcia||1-4||1 H||C Tyler Floyd||0-2||1 BB, R|
|Kholton Sanchez||0-4||1 K||2B Michael Davis||2-4||2 H, HR, 2 RBI's, R|
|RHP Garrett Bruce||3.2 IP||2 ER, 2 K's, 4 Hits, 1 BB||LHP Cameron Smith||4.0 IP||1 ER, 2 K's, 3 Hits, 2 BB|
|RHP Zach Heard||2.1 IP||6 ER, 0 K's, 4 Hits, 5 BB||RHP Matt Custard||2.2 IP||4 ER, 2 K's, 4 Hit, 2 BB|
|RHP Blake Douglass||2.0 IP||0 ER, 3 K's, 0 Hits, 1 BB||LHP Hunter Raley||2.1 IP||0 ER, 3 K's, 2 Hits, 3 BB|
For those who want a more in depth analysis, I have that right here TTU_Game_1_Baseball.0.xlsx .
Game 2 is tomorrow at 3:30 with Jacob Patterson (Red Team) against Johnathon Tripp (Black Team)
Here were the starting line-ups for the game today:
The game started off quickly for both side, as the Red and Black team scored quickly. After Hargrove and Gutierrez walked in the 1st, Black team LF Quinn Carpenter hit a double to deep left center to score Hargrove and advance Gute to 3rd base (where he would stay). In the bottom of the 1st, Zach Davis stole 2nd and 3rd to get in scoring position for Will Hairston, who hit him home on a single past the 3B. After Hairston stole 2nd, Anthony Lyons hit a single to CF to score a diving Hairston. That's when the game started to quiet down. Jacob Patterson and Johnathan Tripp pitched well the remaining two innings, while their relievers came in a didn't allow the score. The exception was in the 5th when Nick Marshall hit home Anthony Lyons on a blooper into shallow RF, giving another run to the Red Team. The pitchers allow hits, but didn't allow the runs to score. They also fanned 7 batters on the day. The Red Team would end up winning 3-1 on the day, tying the series at one a piece heading into next week.
Here are some thoughts from the game:
- We saw some good defensive plays today from both squads. Zach Davis made diving catch in CF, Ryan Long dove and hit down a line drive, and Cory Raley slid to gather a groundball and fired it to 1st for the out. Better defense today for the most part.
- Quinn Carpenter is showing his power at the plate, this time hitting a double to deep LF. If he doesn't start, he's a guy Tech might bring in for the long ball.
- Dominic Moreno looks good again. Gave up 3 hits on the day, but had command of the strikezone and did his job.
- Zach Davis once again impresses me, only having one bad AB this game. It's hard to see a scenario right now where Davis doesn't start a CF.
- Ryan Long has struggled at the plate these first two games. He was 0-5 last game with 3 K's and an error and was 0-2 this game with a walk. He did flash a good glove though. Also, Gardner has been well at 3B so far (Long's position). Something to keep an eye on.
- Nick Marshall was impressive again from the plate. Floyd has better defense while Marshall has the better bat. Depends which one you rather have
Here are their stats:
|Black Team||Red Team|
|SS Cory Raley||2-4||2 H, SB||CF Zach Davis||1-2||H, SB, R, BB|
|CF Hunter Hargrove||0-3||BB, R||DH Landon Darwin||1-4||H, K|
|RF Stephen Smith||1-4||H, 2 K's||1B Will Hairston||1-4||H, RBI, SB, R|
|1B Eric Gutierrez||0-2||2 BB||RF Anthony Lyons||2-4||2 H, RBI|
|LF Quinn Carpenter||1-4||H, RBI, 2B||SS Tim Proudfoot||0-3|
|3B Tanner Gardner||1-3||H, K, BB, CS||3B Ryan Long||0-2||BB|
|C Tyler Floyd||0-4||1B Nick Marshall||2-3||2 H, RBI|
|DH Hunter Southerland||0-2||K||2B Orlando Garcia||1-3|
|2B Michael Davis||1-3||H, K, E||c Kholton Sanchez||1-3||H, K|
|RHP Johnathan Tripp||3.0||2 ER, 3H, K, BB||LHP Jacob Patterson||3.0||ER, 3 H, 2 K's, 2 BB|
|LHP Ty Damron||2.0||ER, 3H, K, BB||RHP Dominic Moreno||4.0||3 H, 3 K's, BB|
|RHP Corey Taylor||3.0||2 H||LHP Jackson Landcaster||2.0||BB|
For those who want a more in depth analysis, here it is: TTU_Baseball_Game_2.0.xlsx
The next game will be Tuesday at 3:30pm. The starting pitchers are not named yet.