1. Morning Links | There were hardly any football-only links, so we'll catch up on as many sports as possible this morning. I haven't specifically looked at the practice schedule, but maybe they had the day off yesterday.
2. Soccer Picked Third and Second | Top Drawer Soccer picked Texas Tech third in the Big 12 this year, right behind West Virginia and Baylor. Here's a bit on the Red Raiders and as you might expect, everyone is falling over themselves about Janine Beckie:
Youth was served in Lubbock last season. There were four players on the 2012 All-Big 12 First Team who weren't seniors. Three of them were Red Raiders. The youngest was freshman forward Janine Beckie, who won the league's Newcomer of the Year honor with an incredible 14 goals and five assists. The Highlands Ranch, Colo. native was one of the most impressive young players in the country as a freshman, and the league awaits her maturation with baited breath.
The official site is also catching up with all of the newcomers and up first is Kansas Bayly (YouTube).
3. Former Lady Raider Finishes Eighth | Tori Polk is one of the world's best at the long jump and she was competing in the IAAF World Championships in Moscow, Russia, where she ended up finishing eighth in the world. Congrats Tori!
4. Volleyball Begins Practice | The official site was looking back at the five best moments of the year last year and the #1 moment was beating #20 Kansas St. on senior night for Texas Tech. Hoping to build on that moment, the team began practice on Friday and there was a bit of video from the day:
"With Coach Smith, he’s a wonderful coach," Robertson said. "You know, he played here a few years ago, then got drafted to Baltimore and then got a chance to coach some good guys like Jason Taylor and (Bart) Scott. At my position, he was at the next level. He takes my position and makes it way better. I just enjoy playing every single day."
Robertson talks about wanting to play at 235, but is about 225 now. Robertson talks about his competition at BLB, Andre Ross, who has high praise for the JUCO transfer:
"Me and Andre, right now, I’m going with the ones because he came from a junior college right now," Robertson said. "Don’t get me wrong, Andre is a heck of a player. My cousin played with him in junior college, and I talked to him and asked what kind of player he was. He said he was a heck of a player. Right now, he’s going with the twos and I’m going with the ones, but we rotate in and out."
I'm hopeful and excited that Robertson and Ross can be the pass-rusher that this team has needed since 2008 or so. I think it's been that long since this team had a dynamic pass rusher and that's really what this team needs.
5. Pace | RP has a bit on offensive pace and head coach Kliff Kingsbury talks about what that means:
"When we say ‘tempo offense’ we’re trying to get the ball snapped as many times as we can in a game. There will be times when we’re going super fast and times when we’re not as fast, but we try to keep constant pressure on the defense."
More from Viva The Matadors:
- Red Raider Gridiron | Linebacker Preview; Bush Stepping Up; Morales Working Back
- Red Raider Gridiron | Brewer Dealing with Back?; Offense Looks to be Balanced
- RESULTS | Which Freshman Do You Think Will Have Their Redshirt season Removed?
- Texas Tech Basketball Schedule Released; Possible Addition to Staff?
- Red Raider Gridiron | Cornerbacks Separating; Amaro Getting Healthy and Stronger