I hope everyone had a great weekend and it was good to take some days off of DTN. Really bummed out about the baseball team not making the NCAA Tournament. Lots of links this morning, so I've divided them a bit to make it easier to follow.
1. 2011 Preseason All-ACC and All-Big 12 Teams! and Five Red Raiders Earn Preseason Accolades From Phil Steele Magazine - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE and Steele's All-Big 12 Team - Turfburner
I think these were released on Friday and I'm working on a post that I hope to have done on Thursday about the overall few Texas Tech players named to these teams.
2. Overall health report for each BCS team - ESPN Dallas
ESPN's Mark Schlabach gives the health report for every BCS team and has this to say about Texas Tech:
The Mike Leach fiasco seemed to suck life out of the Texas Tech program, but then former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville produced an 8-5 record in his first season in Lubbock. At least Tuberville is teaching the Red Raiders how to play defense.
3. Scout.com: 2011 Texas Tech Preview
This is relatively detailed and there is an overall preview and a preview of the offense and defense. I think it's a pretty good preview, although I think they stick pretty close to the post-spring depth chart as their guide, and there is nothing wrong with that.
4. Rivals.com College Football - Coaches pick the most important statistic (hat-tip Football Study Hall)
OC Neal Brown was asked about what is the most important statistic to him and here's what he had to say:
"Turnovers would be my first answer. But you also have to look at explosive plays and negative plays. Our goal is to minimize negative plays and get as many explosive plays as you can. An explosive run is anything over 12 yards. An explosive screen is 12 yards. An explosive pass is anything over 16. If I want to know if a team is well-coached, they have very few negative plays and a lot of explosive plays."
You should also check out the Football Study Hall link as there is additional information there. It's interesting in that both Brown and QB Seth Doege have both expressed this spring (I'll have to look for the Doege comment) that they want to emphasize explosive plays, which I think is a good thing.
5. 2011 Season Preview: The Texas A&M Aggies And Too Much, Too Soon - SBNation.com and Fun Stat Nerd Tidbit: Texas A&M - Football Study Hall
The preview on the Aggies. Excellent work from Bill Connelly. You need to check this out.
6. Sports Illustrated investigation on Jim Tressel, Ohio State - SI.com - Magazine
I'd also encourage you to check out SB Nation's story stream on the matter. I was expecting a true bombshell, but I don't see the bombshell, but a pattern over the course of time.
7. Linebacker Play: The MLB in the Over or Even Fronts - Shakin The Southland
Continuing the education of football fans.
8. Red Raiders left out of NCAA tourney | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and Watson: Red Raiders need to break door down next year | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and Scout.com: My Take: Why Texas Tech is out of NCAAs
As Tech92 posted yesterday afternoon, the Red Raiders failed to make the NCAA Tournament. Dang. Head coach Dan Spencer talks quite a bit about how he didn't think that other teams deserved to make the cut, but at the end of the day, the poor showing in the Big 12 Championship was was did it. This team can't get swept next year and must do a better job of winning on the road. Double dang.
9. Texas Tech fans embrace Hocutt, Gillispie | Big 12 |
This was a pretty darned good article. A good look at AD Kirby Hocutt and new basketball coach, Billy Gillispie.
So much more after the jump.
10. Crockett makes adjustment | adjustment, crockett, makes - Clovis News Journal
The interesting thing is that of all of the players who have made a comment after Gillispie has been hired, it's typically been Jaye Crockett and I think I also remember some quotes from Robert Lewandowski.
TRACK AND FIELD
12. Tech Sending 16 to NCAA Outdoor Championships - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE and Tech’s big guns come through on final day of NCAA West regional | Red Raiders
Congrats to those that have qualified to the NCAA Outdoor Championships!
13. Taking a look back: Myers' colleagues, family share memories of his time at Texas Tech | Red Raiders and Friends, family look back as Myers retires | Red Raiders
Per the two stories, today is Myers' last day as athletic director. Myers wasn't perfect, but as I look back at his athletic director career, he did pull Texas Tech out a bad situation with Bob Bockrath ( I hope I remember this correctly).
14. The Vietnam Center and Archive, Texas Tech University
This is pretty neat and was cool of Texas Tech to debut this yesterday. If you or someone you know was in Vietnam, Texas Tech is looking to interview you and preserve the story.
15. 2011 WNBA Preseason: Sheryl Swoopes Returning To Seattle With 'Hurt And Disappointment' Behind Her - SB Nation Seattle
Catching up with a former Red Raider who is still playing professional basketball.