1. Hagen, Jungmann And Overton Claim Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Weekly Honors - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site |Congrats to Stephen for winning Player of the Week for the 2nd time this season for his performance during this weekend's sweep of Kansas:
Hagen hit .353 with two homers, including a grand slam, six RBI and four walks last week. The junior became the first Texas Tech player since 2009 to record a grand slam when he also hit Tech's first opposite field homer of the year on Tuesday against New Mexico, going 2-for-4 on the day. The first baseman opened the Kansas series going 2-for-4, slamming a ninth-inning home run with TTU trailing by one to send the game into extras, where Tech would eventually win in the 10th. He ended the week going 1-for-3 with two runs scored and two walks against in the series finale against KU. Hagen scored the game-tying run in the ninth before Tech won the game to take the series sweep. Hagen finished the week with a .500 on-base percentage and a .706 slugging percentage.
2. Tech Welcomes Dallas Baptist for Final Midweek Home Game - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE and Red Raiders look for strong finish to impress committee | Red Raiders | Should be a beautiful day, go see some baseball.
3. Texas Tech's Brightest Honored At 2011 TECHSPY Awards - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE | Go take a look at all of the athletes awarded a Techspy. Lots of male and female athletes recognized.
4. NationalJournal.com - The Secret Team That Killed bin Laden - Monday, May 2, 2011 | I haven't had time to watch the news, but I thought this was pretty good.
5. Totally Texas Tech: New TTU Campus Pictures - Will Rogers and USA Edition | Go check out TTURed's photos of Will Rogers and Soapsuds from yesterday.
6. Spring Football: Baylor - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site | The Big 12 website starts to take a look forward to the next football season and the Baylor Bears are the first team to be previewed.
7. T&FN: Finally, Osaghae Gets A Wind-Legal Time and Tech track returns from wild weekend - The Daily Toreador: Sports | Good article on Omo Osaghae and the hectic weekend of the track team from this past weekend.
8. Tech women’s rodeo team makes regionals | Red Raiders | Always makes me think that there are a bunch of students representing Texas Tech.
9. DAVID FLORES: MacArthur's Amaro ending senior year with trip to state | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | High School and High school track and field: Six area athletes earn state berths as regional meets begin - TDTNews.com - Temple Daily Telegram and Odessa High's McVea, Marquez blaze into finals in 100 | finals, mcvea, high - Track and Field - OAVarsity.com | There is so much here, and I'm sure there are more football signees that are competing in track, but these are the three I ran across this morning. Here's a bit from each article.
TE Jace Amaro: Amaro took the gold medal with a heave of 61 feet, 7 inches and qualified for the University Interscholastic state meet, scheduled May 13-14 in Austin . . . "I’ve just got a lot of heart and determination to do whatever I can for my team and for myself," Amaro said. "I know what I need to do."
RB Bradley Marquez: . . . Marquez tied for the second-fastest time in the boys 100 in a personal-best 10.54 . . . "What’s a shock is him going in that fast because we haven’t got to work with him," Thompson said. "He came out this weekend and got in some work out of the blocks, but the rest is just pure, natural ability. He exploded out of the blocks, and that’s incredible to increase time that much. It’s going to be an exciting race."
OL LaRaven Clark: Rockdale's LeRaven Clark will return to the state meet after placing second in the 3A Region III discus. A year ago, Clark took bronze in the same event at state.
10. Tech softball looks forward to break following win at No. 19 Nebraska - The Daily Toreador: Sports
11. Good to be Back - The Daily Toreador: Sports | DT's Tommy Magelssen talks with Texas Tech basketball coach Billy Gillispie and there's also quite a bit from C Robert Lewandowski:
Lewandowski said Gillispie wants all of his players to meet with the new coach at least once a day to better get to know them, and Gillispie encourages all of the players to get to know one another better, too.
"He’s just trying to build a family, really," Lewandowski said. "You ask a lot of the people, and they’ll tell you that chemistry last year was part of our problem, especially when it comes down to winning close games. So we’re trying to build on that in terms of not just on the court but off the court."
Gillispie wants his team to be a family, but not just players playing for him. He wants everyone associated with the team, including fans, to be a part of Red Raider basketball.
His mantra is simple, yet effective: "Play hard, play smart, play together."
Lewandowski said the new slogan is working, so far.
"We were a bunch of players last year; we weren’t really much of a team," he said. "So we’re trying to change that. And he’ll be the first to tell you that we’re nowhere close to where we need to be, but we’re making strides."
12. Arnold: Managing Editor Jon Arnold says sappy goodbye - The Daily Toreador: Opinion | Pour one out today for the DT's Jon Arnold who is graduating and moving on to bigger and better thanks. Thanks for keeping us informed Jon and we'll see you at the crossroads.
13. The best (and worst) college programs and conferences at developing recruits into NFL players - Black Heart Gold Pants | Very informative and from this information, it looks like that if you want to play in the NFL, don't play in the Big 12. I'm sure that will change now that the Big 12 has shed the bad luggage of Colorado and Nebraska.
14. Quarterback outlook: Texas Tech returns to form in quarterback Seth Doege | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News | DMN's Mike Graham writes that it's Doege's job to lose, which is somewhat we've been thinking for quite some time. Some of you may disagree with Doege starting, but from what I've seen of the spring game, I think he is the best option for next year.