1. Tech Hosts New Mexico Opening Six-Game Homestand - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE and Throwbacks/Masked Rider are Upcoming Baseball Promotions - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE Tech aims to get struggling bats untracked vs. UNM | Red Raiders and Tech swept, aims to bounce back against New Mexico - The Daily Toreador: Sports | The baseball team gets back on the diamond with two mid-week games against New Mexico. UNM has suspended five players for these two games, but even if this team wins these two games, this team needs to start winning some conference games . . . in a hurry.
2. Lady Raider Golf Earns NCAA Regional Selection - TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE and Tech women’s golf team earns NCAA berth | Red Raiders | Congrats to the Lady Raider golf team for the NCAA berth!
4. ▶ Make Some Noise and An Oral History of the Beastie Boys, on the 25th Anniversary of ‘Licensed to Ill’ -- New York Magazine | I heard about this on the radio over the weekend, but the Beastie Boys (first link) are streaming their new album on their website and I thought this NY Magazine article was pretty darned good. Plus, I really like the Beastie Boys and I'm not sure what that says about me.
5. PlayoffPAC | NCAA Bowl Regulators Accepted Golf Trips from Fiesta Bowl and NCAA panel members attended bowl-sponsored retreat - College Football - Rivals.com and Fiesta Bowl will be judged by a jury of its old golfing buddies - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports | If you like golf, this sounds like an awesome time. I highly recommend that if you like golf, you get involved with the NCAA.
6. NCAA Hands Down Ohio State's Notice Of Allegations; Jim Tressel Faces Multiple Charges - SBNation.com | Does it seem inevitable that Tressel will be forced to resign?
7. NFL Draft News, Scores and Fan Opinion Powered by 305 Sports Blogs - SB Nation and NFL Lockout Ruling Could Create Wild West Situation - From Our Editors - SBNation.com | If you want some NFL draft coverage, this is a good place to start, with the SB Nation mother-ship. Also, with yesterday's ruling, things could get really interesting this weekend.
8. Scout.com: Fewer/More: Texas Tech Passing D | Back when I produced a lot of original content, I think I did something like this, over/under or upgrade/downgrade? Anyway, Yeager writes this bit:
Part of the secondary’s problems in 2010 stemmed from switching to an almost exclusively man-to-man coverage scheme from one that was almost entirely zone. Tech’s defensive backs faired reasonably well under Ruffin McNeil’s zone defense, but never got a handle on James Willis’ man package.
And one reason for this difficulty was the complexity of Willis’ defense. In a classic case of paralysis by analysis, Tech’s defenders spent more time trying to figure out what they were supposed to do than simply doing it. The results were ugly.
Part of this is true, I think. For me, the problem with Willis wasn't so much that he played man coverage or that Willis' scheme was difficult. That's fine. But two things have to happen, which is that you have to have the players to play man coverage, which was not the case, and if you don't have the personnel to play man coverage, be able to adjust and recognize that playing exclusively man coverage when you don't have the players to pull it off will lose you games.
9. Rush The Court " Blog Archive " Conference Report Card: Big 12 | The guys over at Rush the Court graded the Big 12 basketball last year's Texas Tech team managed an "F".
10. Looking at the Big 12's Revenue Distribution - Turfburner | Jay Beck takes a look at the Big 12's revenue distribution, making the argument that the unequal revenue distribution isn't all that unequal. And before you start calling Jay names, or allege that he's a UT guy (I have no idea as to his collegiate affiliation) you can look at the numbers yourself and I wonder too if the SEC or ACC have unequal revenue distribution.
11. Red Raider Men’s Basketball Coach Billy Gillispie on Sportline [AUDIO] - SportsRadio 1340 The Fan | Good interview with Coach Billy Gillispie, it was a bit tense at first when they ask about another possible recruit/commit, which I guess turned out to be Merv Lindsay, but it was more conversational as it went along.