1. WHAT IS NEW AD KIRBY HOCUTT'S FIRST JOB AND MOST IMPORTANT JOB AS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR? | If you've been under a rock then I should let you know that Texas Tech has hired Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt to replace out-going athletic director Gerald Myers. This is actually a two-part question and want to know what do you think is the first thing that Hocutt should do and what is the most important thing that he should do as athletic director?
2. WHAT ARE YOUR EARLY IMPRESSIONS OF THE QUARTERBACK RACE? | Saturday was Texas Tech's first scrimmage and there are actually statistics available (PDF) (and highlights, lots of highlights). Let's focus on the quarterbacks first. It appears that Doege is still getting a majority of the repetitions and here's how the quarterbacks fared on Saturday:
Seth Doege | 17-26 | 246 Yds | 9.4 YPA | 3 TD | 1 Int
Jacob Karam | 8-17 | 116 Yds | 6.8 YPA | 2 TD | 0 Int
Scotty Young | 9-11 | 63 Yds | 5.7 YPA | 0 TD | 1 Int
| 2-7 | 15 Yds | 2.1 YPA | 1 TD | 0 Int
I find it interesting that the yards per attempt (YPA) is consistent with experience playing college football. In other words, Doege, the most experienced, has the highest YPA, while Brewer, who should be attending prom in high school, has the lowest YPA. Do you think that the comfort level of a quarterback is directly related to the experience that the quarterback has and is it looking more and more like that Doege is going to be the starter in the fall?
3. ARE YOU SURPRISED ABOUT THE NOT SO KNOWN NAMES SHOWING UP IN THE SECONDARY AND ARE THERE ANY OTHER SURPRISES FROM LOOKING AT THE DEFENSIVE STATISTICS? | There are some things to watch defensively too, including taking a look at the secondary. CB Junior Osunde leading the team with 2 pass-break-ups and 4 tackles, S Brett Dewhurst had 10 tackles and 1 sack, and S Giorgio Durham had 8 tackles and pass-break-up. So here we go, we have a walk-on cornerback leading the team with 2 pass-break-ups, while the only other cornerbacks that were on the field were fellow walk-on Sawyer Vest, redshirt freshman Don Hursey and 2011 commit Jeremy Reynolds being the only cornerbacks that played on Saturday. Hursey and Reynolds are fantastic cover cornerbacks. Durham transferred from Central Oklahoma where he was named as an All-American and his conference defensive player of the year. Would it surprise you if Texas Tech has a starting cornerback that didn't play a lick last year and who are your early favorites? What about the fact that Dewhurst had a sack yesterday? Is anyone else giddy about the fact that this may mean that we'll see the safety blitz a bit more this year? Any other surprises from looking at the defensive statistics?
4. DO YOU THINK THAT THE 2011 RECEIVING CORPS WILL BE RECEIVER BY COMMITTEE? | There were 6 touchdown catches, including WR Tramain Swindall (2 catches 46 yards), WR Eric Ward (3 catches 50 yards), WR Derek Edwards (4 catches 46 yards), WR Darrin Moore (3 catches 30 yards), IR Cornelius Douglas (5 catches 71 yards) and TE Tony Trahan (1 catch 7 yards). If these numbers are any indication, the overall receiving numbers are fairly balanced in that there wasn't one standout receiver on Saturday as the most receptions was RB Harrison Jeffers with 6 and the aforementioned Douglas with 71 yards. In the video below, you see Trahan make the touchdown catch, and I'm curious if we'll see more tight end looks in and around the goal line. Overall, do you think there is going to be one standout receiver, if yes, then who is it going to be, or will this be receiver by committee, especially considering the overall depth at the position.
5. WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST FROM THE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS WEEKEND'S HIGHLIGHTS? | Much thanks to DT's Andrew Nepsund who has some video from Saturday's scrimmage. Tell me what's the first thing that jumps out at you:
For me, it was defensive coordinator Chad Glasgow absolutely getting in the face of LB Tyrone Sonier. We'll get into this more later, but it's incredibly important that the linebackers know what they're supposed to do in the 4-2-5, especially in coverage as from what I've read, the front 6 will have their very own defensive call while the back 5 will have their own defensive call, completely independent of each other. So what surprises you about any of this weekend's highlights (official site highlights)?
As always, the questions are after the jump. Feel free to copy and paste the questions into your comment for super easy commenting.
1. WHAT IS NEW AD KIRBY HOCUTT'S FIRST JOB AND MOST IMPORTANT JOB AS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR?
2. WHAT ARE YOUR EARLY IMPRESSIONS OF THE QUARTERBACK RACE?
3. ARE YOU SURPRISED ABOUT THE NOT SO KNOWN NAMES SHOWING UP IN THE SECONDARY AND ARE THERE ANY OTHER SURPRISES FROM LOOKING AT THE DEFENSIVE STATISTICS?
4. DO YOU THINK THAT THE 2011 RECEIVING CORPS WILL BE RECEIVER BY COMMITTEE?
5. WHAT SURPRISES YOU MOST FROM THE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS WEEKEND'S HIGHLIGHTS?