T-minus 8 days til National Signing Day, and looks like there are a few recruits that are choosing that day that could pick the Red Raiders. The first of the group is one we've talked about for a while now in Vincent Jackson Jr. He released his Top 4 back in December with Mizzou, Alabama, USF and Texas Tech in the group. Since then he has taken officials to USF and Virginia, home visits with Mizzou and USF, and a scheduled visit with Mizzou next weekend. It's looking hard to get Vincent Jackson with all this publicity from coaches lately, but hopefully Kingsbury talks with him and can get him to come to Lubbock.
Another one is Ty Barrett, who decommitted from TCU this week, and visited ASU and UCF. It doesn't look like Tech is doing much with Ty Barrett, commits are telling him to come hear. There are a lot of teams in the race, and Tech hasn't done anything as of late, so I don't think he has a chance to come here. However, last night he recommitted to TCU. Let's look at some Linebackers could be in Red and Black in the future, Louis Brown, Riley Garner, and DE Kingsley KeKe
Louis Brown - Athlete, Wide Receiver, Linebacker (Burton HS, Burton, TX)
Height: 6'6" Weight: 205 lbs 40 time: 4.6
Interest: Texas A&M *(Cool), Texas Tech (Cool), Oregon *(Cool), Texas *(Cool)
Louis Brown is an interesting guy. He has a athletic frame at 6'6" and 205 lb, and has a heavy punch. He is an all-state selection at Linebacker for his 1A school, and has gotten attention from schools like Oregon and Baylor. However, he visited 3 A&M games this year, which is just a bit from his hometown. They don't look like they are that interested in Louis Brown at the moment however. There was a story a few weeks ago that mentioned that Louis Brown could be at Texas Tech's Junior Day (I don't know when it is, don't ask me), but that info is behind a paywall. So with that information, let's look at his film. Now unfortunately, there isn't a highlight film of him, just clips, but here's what I saw. Being a Wide Receiver, he has an fast move off the edge that can get the quarterback or runningback, and with his long frame, he can reach guys that some player can't. And as you can see with his RB plays, he packs a punch that can knock down guys. Even though Louis Brown is a 3-star recruit, I imagine him as a guy you coach up and in a couple years come out and straight up ball. I imagine him of a Chandler Jones type player, who out of college has great length and ability, but dropped down to the Patriots at 21 because of development. Now he's a stellar player in the NFL. If the coaches can teach him good, he can be a beast in black.
Riley Garner - Outside Linebacker (A&M Consolidated, College Station, TX)
Height: 6'3" Weight: 200 lbs
Interest: Texas Tech *(Cool), Rice *(Cool), TCU *(Cool), Baylor *(Cool)
Going into enemy territory for this one. This is isn't the first time though, Tech grabbed JJ Loller (not with the team anymore) and Quinton White from there a couple years back. I discovered about this guy on twitter, and I don't see why schools aren't looking at more. Right now he has said that he is really considering Rice, TCU and Texas Tech, and would like to hear from Baylor at some point. There is some confusion on his 40 time, as ESPN has it as 4.81, and 247 has it 4.52 from the U.S. Army Combine. His vertical is around 35" however, which is good from a linebacker. I'm don't know how much Texas Tech is into him, as ESPN doesn't list him and 247 just has them as an interest, but hopefully Kliff and Co at least take a look at him. In fact, let's take a look at him right now. Garner has a quick presence to him, which I believe is the main reason that makes him so good. He's quick off the edge, can avoid blocks by moving his feet, and can make plays on the ball (like the 2 scoop and scores in the videos). Another asset I see in his game is his ability to hit the hole. That speed he has can get him into small holes, along with the strength to be able to push people off him in those holes. There were several plays where he did this and stooped the runner short. And like all Linebackers should, he can tackle. If I had to compare him to someone, I would say Von Miller, with his speed and ability to get into the backfield and make tackles from the LB position. We'll see if Tech decides to pay more attention to him or not.
Kingsley KeKe - Defensive End (George Ranch HS, Richmond, TX)
Height: 6'4" Weight: 270 lbs 40 time: 4.8
Interest: Florida State *(Warm), Baylor *(Cool), TCU (Cool), Texas Tech *(Cool)
Kingsley KeKe should come to Tech, because him and Kingsbury both have the words "King" in their name, it just makes sense. Anyway, even though Texas Tech hasn't offered yet, they look to be interested in KeKe. He recently pick up his 2nd offer from TCU this week, and most likely will be getting more soon. He's busy going to Junior days right now (he could go the Texas Tech's junior day), coming back from Baylor's this weekend. 247 right now has Florida State as the favorite, which I'm not sure why, possibly cause they won the national championship and it's the school he wants to go to most. Let's look at his film right now. The only move right now I see KeKe display is the bull rush, which is good, but KeKe will probably need more than that to succeed at the next level. I'm not completely sold on Keke yet, but he definentl has the size to have success at the college level. I'm not really sure who I would compare KeKe to right now. Not a lot of info on KeKe right now, but we'll see what happens later on.
Here are some more updates:
- LaDarrius Kidd, 78 rated DT, committed this Texas Tech on Thursday. He committed after a home visit from Kliff and Scott Jr at his Mississippi home. Oklahoma and Oregon came in late, but neither could grab him. He is currently the only D-linemen on the commitment list.
- Dominique Robertson, 85 rated JUCO OT, flipped his commitment from K-State to Texas Tech yesterday. He couldn't go to his Tech visit on 12/7, and according to Rivals, that was because he misplaced his ID. He did say that he loved the campus and asked the staff "If he could compete for a job" not "can I start" which is nice to hear. Looks like the ST hire is already helping us.
- Deionte Noel, 83 rated OT, has opened up his commitment after his visit to Lubbock last weekend. He visited the weekend before at Houston, and looks to be deciding between the two. Looking at his profile, it does seem like he had fun.
- Rika Levi, 91 rated JUCO DT, got an offer from Oregon yesterday and will visit there this weekend. Oregon looks to be a school he was interested in, so a flip to Oregon could very well happen. His teammate from San Mateo CC committed there a month ago. Let's hope he stays here.
- Trey Elliott, 80 rated OT, visited TCU last weekend and committed there. Tech had late interest in him and was going to have him visit next weekend, but committed to TCU instead. His dad was DE for Texas Tech in the 80's.
- AJ Allen, 88 rated JUCO OT, decided not to come to Texas Tech and committed to K-State on Sunday. He released his Top 4 on Thursday and decided to commit before visiting Texas Tech. Maybe the Allen commit could've played part in Robertson decision to go to Tech instead.
- Jah'Shawn Johnson, 86 rated S commit, decided not to visit Baylor and will visit Texas Tech next weekend. In a recent interview with 247, he said if Texas offer, it doesn't mean he would flip, but there would be a chance. Here's to hoping to stays with Tech.
- Michael Coley, 79 rated ATH, visited Louisiana Tech last weekend. There is no info on where he will commit yet, but expect a decision soon.
- Multiple Texas Tech commits visited Tech during the weekend, including Justin Stockton, Tevin Madison, Cameron Baston, Ian Sadler, Conner Wilson, Justin Murphy, Jakari Dillard, Robert Castaneda, and Patrick Mahomes (who brought fellow teammate in 2014 WR Jake Parker). Parker was asked a preferred walk-on spot.
- Keyon Dilosa, 82 rated ATH, committed to Mizzou this past week, Was a big Red Raider target, but looked to less interested as time passed. Good friend of Robert Castaneda.
- Quincy Brown, 2014 WR from Dallas, visited Texas Tech last weekend. Don't know if Tech will offer a scholarships or not.
- Gunner Linhart, 6'2" 215lb DE from Austin TX, will walk-on for Texas Tech. Visited Oklahoma Panhandle State University two weekends ago, decided last week via twitter to try and walk-on at Tech. In my opinion, looks like he could be a MLB at the next level.
- Justin Jamison, JUCO Center, was rated an 84 on Sunday. He recently got a home visit and offer from Oregon, but says Texas Tech is in the race for his name. Former Texas Rangers draft pick in 2009.
- Justin Gray, 85 rated SG commit, had an article out about him. Apparently he picked Texas Tech for two reason. One is to be coached by Tubby Smith, the other (and main reason) is the academics to earn his degree in Kinesiology, which is specific what Tech offered. Ironic Tech beats out Harvard and Sanford for academics.
- 247sports has some new recruits listed to for the Red Raiders. Akolda Manyang (7ft JUCO Center), and Cullen Russo (6'8" JUCO PF). No sure how serious recruit they are. They have 3 scholarships left for this class.
- Trevor Elbert, 2015 94 rated OT, committed to A&M after going to their Junior Day this Sunday. He was a Tech target who visited the campus, but ultimately wanted to be an Aggie. Good luck to him there.
- Breiden Fehoko, 2015 97 rated DT, will visit Texas Tech for their Spring game. With his brother on the team, we wants to visit Texas Tech to see him play.
- DeVontre Stricklin, 2015 87 rated WR, committed to Baylor on Friday. Wanted to stay close to home and has a good relationship with them. Best of luck to him.
- Darrion Daniels, 2015 88 rated DT, has got offers from Texas, TCU, Cal and Tulsa this week. Also had visits from Michigan and a Junior Day to Baylor.
- Chris Clark, 2015 88 rated TE, talked with Kingsbury this past week. Clark has gotten a lot of attention this past week, getting coaching visits from BC, ASU, Georgia, Tennessee, and Ohio State.
- Toby Weathersby, 2015 86 rated OT, got offered by the Red Raiders. Went to Texas A&M's junior day and will go to Oklahoma's junior day next weekend.
- Josh Moore, 2015 DE/TE, was rated an 85 on Sunday. His top two targets right now are Kansas and Texas Tech, visiting Kansas for the Tech game.
- Texas A&M's Junior Day was this past weekend, and Tech recruits that went include Kyler Murray, Ryan Newsome, Larry Pryor, Brandon Jones, JaMycal Hasty, Malik Jefferson, Toby Weathersby and Conner Dyer.
- Baylor's Junior Day was also this past weekend, and Tech recruits that went were Darrion Daniels, Ronald Jones II, Jarrett Stidham and John Humphrey.
- Jarvis Johnson, 90 rated PG, was offered by Texas Tech on Wednesday. He's from Minnesota and has been on the Raider's radar for a while now. He has taken several unofficial visits to Minnesota and has had home visits from Minnesota, Kansas and Wisconsin.
NORAD Kliff Tracker:
Another addition of the NORAD Kliff Tracker this week, as we look at Tech visiting somer commits, some new 2015 rercruits and pushing hard to grab some important recruits for the upcoming class. Let us take a look at what Kliff and Co were up to this week:
January 20th, 2014: Mike Jinks was spotted in Princeton talking to commit Jakari Dillard. He visited Texas Tech this past weekend and enjoyed the visit.
January 21st, 2014: Kliff and Co were in Dallas on Monday to see several recruit. While they were there, they offered Trey Elliott, who eventually committed to TCU.
January 22nd, 2014: Kliff and Co went to Aledo to visit Ryan Newsome, as Newsome said he was "swagged out". Tech has an edge over some of the competition, as he reveled on Saturday that his girlfriend will be attending Texas Tech next year.
January 22nd, 2014: Kliff was spotted at Stephenville to visit with highly rated QB Jarrett Stidham. Been talking about Tech a lot lately, wearing Texas Tech gear, talking to Josh Abbott and Cody Hodges.
January 22nd, 2014: Kliff was spotted in South Oak Cliff Wednesday, most likely visiting Tech target Jamile Johnson. Don't know he was looking at anyone else.
January 23rd, 2014: Texas Tech spotting in Grand Prairie Thrusday, where they talked to 2015 Dual Threat QB Tony Nicholson and offered 2015 WR Jaelan Austin.
January 23rd, 2014: Texas Tech were also in Gilmer that day visiting 2015 DB Kris Boyd. Looking like he's leaning toward other schools though.
January 23rd, 2014: Texas Tech spotted in Nacogdoches to look at 2016 S Brandon Jones. Already has a lot of schools looking at him.
January 23rd, 2014: Whitehouse 2016 RB Shemar Smith was asking for a Tech offer on twitter, so being in East Texas, the staff might've stopped by Whitehouse.
January 23rd, 2014: 2015 LB Mahilk Hanna tweet something about Texas Tech being in Lawton, so it looks like Texas Tech may have looked some players there.
January 23rd, 2014: Kliff and Scott were spotted in Missisippi at LaDarrius Kidd's home, where he committed during the home visit.
January 26th, 2014: Kliff and Curtis spotted in Fayette, AL to meet with commit Tevin Madison. Could they be visiting other parts of the east coast?
January 26th, 2014: Kliff talked with Jarrett Sitdham Sunday night (don't think it was face to face). Tech is really pushing hard to Stidham.
January 27th, 2014: Havarty visited Rowlett today is see 2015 DE Charles Omenihu.
January 27th, 2014: The Texas Tech staff visited Destrehan HS in NOLA to offer RB Kirk Merritt. That school has had a lot of D-1 talent come out of it.
January 27th, 2014: Apparently, Texas Tech went to visit Anson HS today in North Carolina. Not sure of his intentions here.
January 27th, 2014: Kliff and Curtis went and visited Nigel Bethel II today in Miami. Don't think he visited Vincent Jackson Jr while down there.
January 27th 2014: Kliff paid another visit to Aledo yesterday. Looks like he wants Ryan Newsome bad too. The funny thing about that is, Ryan Newsome and Jarrett Stidham said a couple weeks ago that they're going to try and play college ball together, so looks like the Tech staff is trying to get them on board.
UPDATE: Michael Coley has made his decision and will announce it on National Signing Day.
UPDATE 2: Mike Smith was spotted in Hawaii visiting Breiden Fehoko on Wednesday 1/29/14.