LINKS | We're all working hard to have some good content up this week even though Texas Tech is playing the dreaded "bye", so don't go away, and please stay tuned. Enjoy some links this morning, on the house.
- Brewer to Return in Near Future | I don't think that head coach Kliff Kingsbury held a formal press conference yesterday, but did participate in the Big 12 coaches' press conference. In any event, via the LAJ or DMN, Kingsbury said that Brewer's return could be soon:
"I don’t think far, if there are no setbacks. With what I’m hearing from our trainers, very near future. So this bye week helps, and we’ll see where he’s at next week."This pretty much aligns with a 10 week return, assuming Brewer injured his back in the middle of August, which is when I received word that he might be hurt. I mentioned yesterday that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Brewer is in uniform and pads against Kansas.
"I definitely think when he gets healthy, we’ll see what he’s got," Kingsbury said. "It’s been a long layoff for him, but he’s a very talented kid and a talented player. I would imagine if he can come back in pretty good form, pretty good shape that we’ll get him right back in the mix."
- Notebook | Texas Tech vs. Kansas is set for 11:00 am kickoff, via the LAJ, and will be televised on Fox Sports 1. Also in that link, K Ryan Bustin was named one of three Lou Groza Stars of the Week, which is pretty cool. There's also a bit on 2013 signee, WR Devin Lauderdale, who is currently at Navarro JC, could make it onto campus in December. There's also a bit about Butler C.C. DT Owen Williams, who hasn't been offered by anyone else other than Texas Tech.
- The Alphabetical & Ranking Undefeated Teams by Resume | Easy enough, this week's The Alphabetical and ranking the 29 undefeated teams by resume.
- Rankings and Stuff | SAEN and FSSW rank the Big 12 teams. Also to squeeze some stuff in here from FSSW, Ubben has his week 4 thoughts and week 4 superlatives. Ubben really does like us.
- Players Protest NCAA | I didn't really even notice any coverage of this over the weekend, via SB Nation, but a handful of players protested the NCAA during some games this week, notably at Georgia Tech, Georgia and Northwestern. They had "APU" on tape around their wrists and stuff during the game and this acronym stands for "All Players United". I think it would be great to have a group that represents the players in the game. Organizing could be incredibly difficult.
- Tempo | Via Football Study Hall, Texas Tech has the 8th fastest offense in the nation, and that's after playing two traditionally slower teams in Texas St. (ranked 125) and TCU (ranked 84th).
- Catching Up with Blackshear | The LAJ catches up with former Red Raider receiver Rodney Blackshear.
- Media Column | Slowly but surely, this is becoming one of my favorite columns of the week, which is SI's media column, where they tackle the value of sideline reporters and something that I found a bit shocking. The numbers for ESPN's GameDay drew 1.8 million viewers in College Station while the competing Fox Sports 1 game day show drew only 68,000 views. That's not a typo. Yikes. I also found the interview with the former NY Times writers to jumped to Bleacher Report as B/R is maybe trying to change their perception (I'm willing to read for sure if the content is quality).
More from Viva The Matadors:
- Big 12 Roundup | UT Beats K-State; Baylor Rolls; WVU is Shutout
- Texas Tech Links on VTM | Updates on Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Tennis, Softball and Baseball
- Post Game Thoughts | Texas State Bobcats 7, Texas Tech Red Raiders 33
- Post Game Thread | Texas Tech wins all the games
- GDT III | Texas St. Bobcats vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders