Do you want to write?
I occasionally get inquiries about writing for Viva The Matadors and I'm always open to anyone offering to help. I do need more help and I need more help especially in the football season where I'm carrying most of the load. I would love nothing more than to have additional front page writers that could write at least one post of their own thoughts during the week. If we get a couple of those sorts of writers, then we'll have more variety, more stories and more opinions.
More important than just about anything else, in order to write on the front page you have to be an active part of the community. A few months ago, I had someone on Twitter ask me if they could be a front page writer. My general rule is that you could be a fantastic writer, but you have to work well within the community. This person started writing FanPosts, which were great. I communicated via Twitter and in the comments that writing stories is great and all, but I really need for writers to be able to interact and I need to see that interaction as well. He didn't really listen to me and I think he's got his own site on his own network. That's fine too, but for me, the most important part of agreeing to add someone as a front page writer is that you have to get along with the community. We can't all be best friends, but I think it is important to have a level of comfort with each other.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think that this is really how SARR and RndRckTTU both got their starts writing for VTM. They were consistent in writing FanPosts and they were well-informed. By no means am I even close to being a great writer, however, I do think that I'm incredibly consistent and consistency in the blogging world will get you quite far. Yes, you do have to write reasonably well, but you have to be consistent more than anything else.
One other reason that I'm posting this now is to announce that my wife and I are starting our second adoption. We initially considered adopting from another country again, however, we ended up deciding that due to a lot of uncertainty about the adoption process for other countries, we wanted to adopt from Ethiopia again. As some of you may know, my wife and I adopted our only child, Fitsum, from Ethiopia. He is the best thing that has ever happened to us. He is three now and he needs a brother or sister.
The last time that we adopted, I think I put out the call about two or three weeks before we left for our first trip to Ethiopia to ask if anyone would like to help write on VTM. The one person that emailed me to ask if they could help write on the front page is everyone's internet hero, SARR. And when I was gone, VTM would have been lost without the efforts of RndRckTTU, who picked up the morning links as if I was there. They both helped me in a huge way. We just started the process and we're probably at least a year away from traveling, but I'd love to have a couple of people in place on the front page that could help in this respect.
Here are some of the requirements and highlights that you should probably know.
- This is a non-paying position. If you're writing on VTM, you're doing it for the love of Texas Tech and because you love to write.
- You should have some working knowledge of HTML. Understand what it is and how it works, but nothing in depth. We can work on this.
- Be good at grammar and stuff.
- Be an active member of VTM.
- If there is one sport or aspect in particular that interests you, that's perfect. The more the merrier. If you want to write about general things, that's fine too, but I do want you to have an idea of what you would like to do.
- Start writing high-quality FanPosts. Do all of the things that I would need you to do. Have engaging titles to posts, be smart, interact with members of the community, etc.
- If you have another talent that isn't writing. Maybe you're great at graphics or GIF's or something like that. Talented and consistent people make a great website.
If you're interested in writing for VTM please shoot me an email at doubletnation AT gmail DOT com. Let's party.