Good Guys | Texas Tech Red Raiders
Bad Guys | Iowa St. Cyclones
Date | October 12, 2013
Time | 11:00 am CST
Location | Jones AT&T Stadium | Lubbock, Texas
Weather | Sunny, High 80, Low 54
Television | Fox Sports 1
Television Call | Eric Collins (Play-by-Play), James Bates (Analyst), Brady Poppinga (Sideline)
Radio | Affiliates
Odds | Via OddsShark | Opening Line: 16.5
Just a couple of non-football links before we get going. The soccer team beat TCU on Friday night, 2-0 , and wholloped (I'm not even sure if this is a word) Arkansas Pine-Bluff, 8-0, yesterday on Senior Day. I have no idea what happened with the rest of the top 25, but they're going to keep inching up the polls. 11 races. 11 wins. Kennedy Kithuka wins again in Fayetteville on Saturday, with a personal best time in the 8,000 m. You might be watching the best athlete ever at Texas Tech. The volleyball team lost to West Virginia, 3-1. Let's get to football.
- Texas Tech at #20 & #21 in Polls | In the AP Top 25 Texas Tech sits at #20 and move up one spot in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
- Five Thoughts | The LAJ and DMN each have five key development and/or thoughts after the win against Kansas.
- Official Site | The official site has their game preview up and ready with no change to the depth chart, nothing discernible by me anyway. Again, the coaching staff isn't going to update the depth chart all year.
Getting Brewer Hit | This generated some discussion, which was that head coach Kliff Kingsbury wanted to get QB Michael Brewer some game time and here's what Kingsbury said:
"We wanted to get him hit on that quarterback draw," head coach Kliff Kingsbury said. "We didn’t block a soul so he got hit by like four guys. Just operation, getting the signals, communicating to the receivers clearly, getting him in and getting him some game reps."Some of you question whether or not Kingsbury is doing the right thing here, by essentially serving up Brewer to get hit and possibly re-injured. Let's think about it like this. Would you rather know now or after 10 plays next week as to how Brewer is going to take to contact? I'd rather know now as to whether or not he can take a hit because then you know who takes the reps during the week of practice. Also think about how careful Kingsbury has been with Brewer. I don't think he's practiced until just last week. Kingsbury doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to take chances with a kid's health. I have no doubt that Brewer is ready to go.
- Recap | In case you still need to catch up, check out our friends at the DT.
- Playing Into the BCS | Nice mention by the USA Today, stating that Texas Tech is playing their way into the BCS conversation.
- Big 12 Power Poll | FSSW has their Big 12 Power Ranking and Texas Tech sits at #3.
More from Viva The Matadors:
- Post Game Thoughts | Texas Tech Red Raiders 54, Kansas Kayhawks 16
- Post Game Thread | Texas Tech Red Raiders 54, Kansas Jayhawks 16
- Game Day Thread III | Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Kansas Jayhawks
- Game Day Thread II | Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Kansas Jayhawks
- Texas Tech Morning Links | Soccer Beats TCU; Football Game Day Links