It was a bit of a rough first quarter with Kansas scoring early and the offense struggling early, but Texas Tech very much had control of this game after the first half.
Bring it Big Phil.
WHAT WENT RIGHT
- Baker Mayfield looked good after the first quarter. I love that Kingsbury has faith to keep Mayfield in the game and not have an early hook, it would have been easy to do so.
- The running game really took over in the second quarter and put Kansas on their heels. It was dominant for an entire drive and Kansas never recovered.
- As I am writing this, with about 2 minutes left in the game, Kansas has 266 yards. We'll break this down from 1st quarter and the rest of the way, but, oh my, what a performance.
- The defense produced 4 turnovers, just a fantastic effort. They just dominate the play, stringing out a play in space and making things happen. Really just a beautiful thing to watch.
- Eric Ward, please be back, you're so good.
- Michael Brewer. He wouldn't have played had he not been 100% healthy. This is nothing but good news if Mayfield's injury is serious. And I'm not sleeping on Davis Webb's contributions this game, he looked good too.
WHAT WENT WRONG
- Mayfield getting his knee hit is a part of the game and I hate that. The hit didn't look at all intentional, so this isn't a situation where I've got any hard feelings towards that player. Just want to wish Mayfield a speedy recover.
- The defense really struggled in the first quarter and that was disturbing, but obviously, there was a significant adjustment.
- I'm trying to think of something else, but I got nothing.