I feel I'm the reason why we lost Saturday. Recently my lucky penny on my key chain broke and I lost the penny inside. I got that penny shortly before Kingsbury was hired. You can put the game on my shoulders, I don't care. I need to find another lucky penny before next game or else we area going to lose again.
However, I am not mad Tech lost. Let down, yes, but no discouraged. The way Tech has been under the last few years under Tuberville, Kingsbury quicky turned in as many wins Tuberville did when he was here. Tech still has a great record and by the way the players and recruits are looking, many more are to come. Some players that could impact Tech's future are visiting this weekend, including 2014 DT Zaycoven Henderson and 2015 ATH Justin Gamble.
Zaycoven Henderson - Defensive Tackle (Longview HS, Longview, TX)
Height: 6'2" Weight: 300 lbs
Interest: Texas (Warm), Ole Miss (Warm), Oklahoma (Warm), Texas Tech (Warm)
Zaycoven was committed to TCU from late February to early September when he decommitted. Since then he has unofficially visited Texas (both loses, what luck), Ole Miss (they beat #6 LSU when he visited), and Oklahoma (last weekend against Tech). He's taking his official visit to Tech this weekend along with several others for the Oklahoma State game. Longview High School has had success at many levels throughout their school history, some include Chris Davis (Orioles 1B), Trent Williams, Chris Ivory and a current Tech player in Pete Roberson. Some recruits out of Longview now include UT commit WR Dorian Loenard, S Stephen Maxey and 2015 target JaMycal Hasty. I have actually participated in a longview football camp before, so I probably have meet this guys beofre this (my uncle was once a middle school coach in Longview). Anyway, what really sticks out to me and Zaycoven is his reaction time and speed. He takes off the line so fast that he either squeezes between linemen or they struggle picking him up. That speed also helps when delivering hard hits on opponents, causing distribution throughout the game. His game reminds me a lot of a DL version of Pete Roberson. This is the last of Zaycoven's visits (unless he takes an official visit to UT), which is a good thing. We'll see what pans out in the upcoming weeks.
Justin Gamble - Wide Receiver (Stony Point HS, Round Rock, TX)
Height: 5'11" Weight: 170 lbs 40: 4.58
Interest: Texas Tech (Warmer), Texas A&M* (Warm), Texas* (Warm), Cal* (Warm)
The only other offer Gamble has to this point is Texas State, but more should come soon. Most of the recruiting sites agree that Gamble's stock will be rising after this season. Justin is visiting campus this weekend and is hyped about visiting Texas Tech. Gamble could possibly be the first 2015 recruit to commit to Tech (I don't think he would commit anytime soon, but he is really liking Tech right now). It was a good idea that we offered Gamble when we did, seeing that other schools are now starting to take notice. Now Justin mostly plays inside receiver at his high school, and reason why he does in my opinion is his ability to block down field. Most WR tapes I see don't really show their blocking ability, but Gamble's does, and his strength is shown. He also takes long strides, which increases his speed. It looks like his takeoff isn't the fastest, which means that he's possibly faster than what he 40 time says. However, I think Gamble could improve on his route running. It seemed to me that he didn't make a lot of cuts, just turns to the middle or outside. If he improves that, he could produce well at Tech.
Here are some other updates:
- Sylvester Towes, 78 ranked OT, will be visiting Tech this weekend. He is already committed to West Virginia, but is taking his official visit to Lubbock and still checking out the Red Raiders. Also teammates with current Texas Tech commit Keland McElrath.
- Randy Anyanwu, NR DE by 247, is visiting Texas Tech this weekend also. Randy is from Georgia and has listed Tech in his top 3 schools
- Daniel Wise, 86 ranked DE, could be visiting Lubbock this weekend for the OKST game. He has shorted his list down to a few schools, and Tech looks to be one of them.
- I tweeted Ivan Thomas (apparently I do that now) and he has a game Friday night and wont be going to the OKST game anymore. He'll be Lubbock next year however, so that's good.
- Jackson Davis has committed to Rice. Jackson was deciding between several schools and announced his decision on twitter yesterday. Congrats to Davis and good luck to him at Rice.
- Satchel Pierce took an official visit to Miami this weekend. Pitt and Miami have fought back and forth for this guy while Tech hasn't made any moves as of late.
- Josh Gray has decommitted from Florida State yesterday. Gray was an ESPN 150 Tech player last year but transferred when Chris Walker left. He seems to change his mind a lot.
- Josh Moore was offered by Kansas this weekend. He visited Lawrence when Tech was in town and beat up on the Jayhawks. Moore's offers remain at Tech, TCU and Kansas as of now.
- Jaylon Lane unofficially visited TCU this past weekend. He visited Tech for the homecoming game and currently has no offers. I am high on this kid and I really hope Tech sends a scholarship his way in the near future.
- Blake Lynch recently committed to Baylor (wasn't on Tech's radar) which gives Baylor their QB for the class. Jarrett Stidham was liking the bears a lot, and this could mean that Baylor slows down recruitment on Stidham or Stidham doesn't like Baylor as much. This is good for Tech, considering Baylor has had a lot of good QBs as of late.
Also for those counting, that makes it 6 weeks a recruit has committed on the day I post a story. Let's see if it gets to 7!