Good Guys | Texas Tech Red Raiders
Bad Guys | West Virginia Mountaineers
Date | October 19, 2013
Time | 11:00 am CST
Location | Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium | Morgantown, West Virginia
Weather | Partly Cloudy, High 58, Low 42
Television | Fox Sports 1
Television Call | Justin Kutcher (Play-by-Play), James Bates (Analyst), Brady Poppinga (Sideline)
Radio | Affiliates
Odds | Via OddsShark | Opening Line: 6.5 | Current Line: 7.5
To catch up on soccer and volleyball, both had successful weekends. The volleyball team won a 5 set match against TCU on Saturday, their first conference win of the year. And the soccer team traveled to Norman on Friday and beat OU, 2-1, and then had to travel to Waco on Sunday and tied Baylor in double-overtime, 0-0. Baylor and West Virginia are the other top two teams in the conference and to get a tie on what is essentially a back-to-back is terrific.
- Official Site Preview | Per the official site, again, there's nothing new and there is a depth chart but it has not been updated since SMU.
- The Line Has Moved | Per OddsShark in the link above, the line has already moved a bit, opening at 6.5, but quickly moved to 7.5 last night. I guess plenty of money came in on Texas Tech to make the move up one point over night.
- Poll Updates | Texas Tech has moved up to #15 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and #16 in the AP Top 25 Poll. The Harris Interactive Poll was also initially released yesterday and Texas Tech was also #15. One site that you might want to bookmark is PollSpeak, that gathers all of this information into one spot and it also lets you know how the media voted on Texas Tech in the AP Poll. You can find out that Texas Tech was ranked as high as 11th and unranked by one voter. Pretty cool site.
- Writer Awards and Rankings | FSSW has their week 7 thoughts and power rankings, with Texas Tech at #2 in the Big 12. ESPN gave QB Davis Webb a helmet sticker and has some week 7 thoughts.
- Ward Empathizes | The LAJ talked with WR Eric Ward, who said that he understands how tough it can be at the quarterback spot. Ward was proud of Webb's performance and
"You’ve got to understand the situation: Davis is a strong kid, and he’s strong-minded as well," Ward said. "To come in and perform like that, under pressure, after Mayfield going down, that’s a big step for him. Hat’s off to him."The LAJ also has their five key developments from the game.
- Remaining Schedules | The DMN has the remaining conference schedules for Baylor, Texas and Texas Tech. Both Baylor and Texas Tech have much tougher roads on the latter half of their Big 12 schedules, so that should be interesting to see how both teams perform.
- Advice for the Official Site | On Saturday morning, Texas Tech released in-house articles for former LAJ staffer, Nick Kosmider. One was about Manny Ramirez and Louis Vasquez and their success in Denver and the other one was about Danny Amendola in New England. I think it is great that Kosmider is helping in this respect and I like that the official site is utilizing Kosmider, but my advice would be for the official site not to post these sorts of articles on a Saturday morning before an 11:00 am kickoff. No one is at their computer. I made a mental note to remember to bring this up because I thought the timing was weird and as someone that knows a thing or two about SEO and timing of posts, you want people to see this stuff because it is really good. Post it a day earlier, on Friday morning, when people are at work looking for anything to do other than work, but are excited about the game.
- Montgomery Picked for All-America Bowl | Congrats to Texas Tech commit to Douglass OL Mildren Montgomery for being named to the Offense-Defense All-America Bowl in Orlando, Florida after the season!