Two softball players receive some preseason honors. Listen to an interview with new RB coach Mike Jinks and some praise about the Jinks hire. Thoughts on Oklahoma St. DC Bill Young.
The men's basketball team play tomorrow at 3:00 pm and the women play at 7:00 pm.
* Giovannetti Steps Down as Voice of Red Raider Baseball - Texas Tech Red Raiders Official Athletic Site | A bit misleading in that he's still doing play-by-play for the television side of things.
* KZDC 1250 AM - Audio Vault | You can listen to new running back coach Mike Jinks (right now it is the third one down). I listened to it last night and it's nothing earth-shattering. Said that he met with head coach Kliff Kingsbury on Wednesday and decided yesterday.
"I’m not retiring," he said. "I’m not a quitter. I feel like I can coach several more years. Young, 66, said he was told by Gundy in February that college football is a young man’s game "and I was the face of the defense and he thought my age would hurt recruiting and he thought players wouldn’t play for me."
I don't know what the hold-up is with the defensive coordinator situation is, I still think that it is best to take your time. Not get in a hurry and make the right decision, not a decision because he feels like he has to make a decision. As for Young, I would bet that he is highly motivated and would be a great teacher.
* Twitter / McAllisterOnFox: JUCO OG Dionte Savage has been ... | Kingsbury has offered Arizona Wester C.C. G Dionte Savage. That's one big kid. Here is his Hudl video and Rivals profile.
* Jinks leaves for Tech " Texas Football | Good stuff from Tepper:
To sum up: in the last three years, Mike Jinks' No. 1 running backs have averaged 2,046 yards and more than 24 touchdowns per season. That's pretty special.
The move is the first big-splash hire for new Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury, and perhaps a very savvy one. Kingsbury has recruiting ties throughout the state from his years at Houston and Texas A&M, but bringing in a respected high school coaching name like Mike Jinks should shore up the recruiting side while having its obvious benefits with the running backs corps.
* The All-Big 12 Bowl Team - Big 12 Blog - ESPN | A few Red Raiders made the list. For the record, I like Ubben. He does hate every Big 12 school. He is paid by ESPN, therefore he loves UT and he is trying to troll you so hard. Seriously, Ubben is okay.