With the recent retirement of Gerald Myers, I thought it would be fitting to send him off in style. Sure, he was an all conference basketball player and long-time coach at Texas Tech. Sure, he ruled the Athletic Department with an iron fist and an absent mind for the better part of two decades. And we all fondly remember his finest moment-the pep rally at the USA when he hired Bobby Knight. What a coup!
I'll never forget the smile on his face during that pep rally. A life's work had finally paid off. He sat back and enjoyed the fruits of his labor. Bobby Knight was finally here! The only thing better was the time Pat almost beat Kansas!
But my fondest memories of Gerald are during the last 18 months as he, the chancellor, and the pony put out some of the finest literary works this side of Idalou. I took the liberty to compile a top ten list of Gerald's quotes from the newsletters and various reporting outlets. It's up to you to figure out which quotes are actually legit.
10. I'm gonna go outside and chew 2 pieces of gum.
9. I like hot dogs with mustard.
8. People in Lubbock read what they want to hear.
7. I swear I'm gonna stab you with my fork!
6. These 3 slides from a very important Power Point, proving the bad assness of hills:
5. I never give my coaches goals.
4. Two words- Grey Goose and Nyquil.
3. We have to finish the floors. I'm sure there's a cost to that.
2. I've got a sign on my desk that says Carpe Diem. It's an old Russian slogan that means "the customer is always right."
And the number 1 Gerald quote of all time came during the Leach hearing last May in a Lubbock courtroom:
9:15am Bathroom break. The deuce!
Finally, to close it out, I'll leave you with an artistic interpretation of a dream that Gerald recently had. Yes, he's retiring, and the big retirement party is weighing on his mind. If he had his way, it would play out exactly like this. Carpe Diem Mr. Myers. Carpe Diem.